Home > Trip Reports > March 18, 2006, Baker - Ptarmigan Ridge

March 18, 2006, Baker - Ptarmigan Ridge

3/18/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ericd on 3/19/06 7:03am
Ryan, Hayes, Dalius and I skiied out to Ptarmigan ridge on Saturday.  We approached by touring up Austin Pass Road and around the south side of Table Mountain.  The weather changed by the minute between brief sun breaks, wind, whiteout, and snow - only a few fleeting views of Baker and Shuksan.  The skiing was fantastic.  We took three runs on northwest facing slopes off the ridge before Coleman Pinnacle.  The snow conditions were perfect - boot to knee deep blower powder with an occasional face shot over a soft consolidated base and fun roll after roll after roll of terrain.    

A pit we dug at 5400 ft revealed 12-18 inches of loose, light powder over denser homogenous snow with no significant layers in the top four to five feet.  We saw a large crown at about 5600 ft on a northeast slope a little west of our turnaround point and speculated it may have been from the last big storm cycle ten days or so ago.  There are some HUGE cornices on the ridge.  I wouldn't want to be under one on a really warm day.      

It being our first time in the Baker BC, we decided to take the loop route back and toured up through the Chain Lakes.  The weather cleared up a bit, and the light of the late afternoon sun made for sublime views in all directions as we skinned up to Herman Saddle from Iceberg Lake.  We skiied breakable crust on tired legs down from the saddle to the parking lot - a somewhat disappointing "reward" for A LOT of skinning.  It was great to do a loop tour and check out the vast terrain.  I never need to go back because none of it looks very interesting to ski ;)

We only saw two other parties out on Ptarmigan Ridge, but the front country slopes off of Table looked thoroughly farmed upon our return, almost like an extension of the lift area.  Dalius brought his camera this time, maybe he'll post some pictures.
Good job. Nice rewards come to those who are willing to do a little horizontal for their vertical, eh?

hey eric....i was in one of those other groups on saturday...my first trip as well into the baker BC...here's a photo taken during the morning when the sun was out:

don't want to take up all 3 photos either

more can be seen here:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=mthtq0f.81r2uafz&Uy=mw5u0a&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Good job. Nice rewards come to those who are willing to do a little horizontal for their vertical, eh?

Yeah! ;D  Although this tour and a trip to Silver Peak a couple weeks ago have got me thinking about trying Lowell's "skinny skin" approach to get a little more glide on the flats and rolling terrain.  I am now thinking the little bit of extra weight and transition time (thin skins to full coverage skins to no skins) might pay off on tours like this.  The twelve plus mile all day loop trip on fat skis with edge-to-edge skins was put in perspective when it took under two hours to cover eight miles of rolling terrain on Sunday (on light edgeless nordic gear with my wife and baby girl).  I tour on a medium weight tele setup (K2 World Pistes, Targa T9 bindings, and Garmont Synergy boots), but it feels like a tank compared to my skinny fish scale Atomics with SNS bindings.  No face shots on Sunday though. ;)

motsies - it looks like your photos didn't post.

Although this tour and a trip to Silver Peak a couple weeks ago have got me thinking about trying Lowell's "skinny skin" approach to get a little more glide on the flats and rolling terrain.  I am now thinking the little bit of extra weight and transition time (thin skins to full coverage skins to no skins) might pay off on tours like this.

I used skinny skins on my last trip to the Ptarmigan Ridge area and they worked pretty well. There were a few spots on the climb to Austin Pass where they slipped out, but beyond that point they were really nice. I switched to fat skins for yo-yoing. I don't know whether the skinny skins made me any faster, but I think they saved energy during the day.

Hey folks,

Here's my link to more photos of the day:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/danp09/album?.dir=f894&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Hey motsies and dpasteris.  Were you guys the first party out that broke trail?  If so, thanks again!  I think we ran into you all after our first run off the ridge.  Which way did you return to the parking lot?  We saw a party cresting over Herman Saddle at about 6:30 as we were packing the car.  Was that you by chance?

Nice photos by the way.  Great day!

Alright.  I just got the slides back and had a chance to scan a few.  Yes, I live in the dark ages of film!  What a weekend...

Ryan heading out into the Great White Open

Our ski trax.

Topping out on Ptarmigan Ridge

march-18-2006-baker-ptarmigan-ridge
ericd
2006-03-19 15:03:06