Home > Forum > March 18-19, 2006: Alta, UT

March 18-19, 2006: Alta, UT

• skip
  • [skip]
More
19 Mar 2006 09:39 - 19 Mar 2006 15:01 #212432 by skip
March 18-19, 2006: Alta, UT was created by skip
It's puking snow in the Wasatch.  After touring Thursday and Friday (see Kam's report ), I met up with friends in Salt Lake and skied Alta all weekend.  The official report both mornings registered 8", but I find that hard to believe.  Yesterday was knee-deep or better and today was thigh deep in many of the tucked-away lines.  While late-day moguls formed on the lower runs, the top of the mountain remained cold enough to keep it light and soft.  Very nice.<br><br>If you're heading down this week, it should continue to be good.  Snow fell throughout the day today, and it began to really pound as we were leaving; tomorrow should prove another big day.  I hear tell there will be a break in the weather Tuesday, only to start up again mid-week.  I'd planned on leaving town this evening, but it's not looking to pan out that way...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bcpinhead
  • [bcpinhead]
More
20 Mar 2006 10:20 #212436 by bcpinhead
Replied by bcpinhead on topic Re: March 18-19, 2006: Alta, UT
Sweet!!!<br>I was just there last week and they had simmilar conditions.<br>I didn't ski the resort however.<br>The skiing over at twin lakes pass was awesome!!!<br>If you are still there and have your touring gear, I strongly suggest following the buffed out, groomed track that the cat skiing tours go up. You can access some amazing terrain with little avalanche danger!!!!<br><br>Enjoy<br><br>Bryan C

• fixiewrek
  • [fixiewrek]
More
21 Mar 2006 03:47 #212443 by fixiewrek
Replied by fixiewrek on topic Re: March 18-19, 2006: Alta, UT
I'm heading down there this weekend, any recommendations on where we should ski? primarily in-bounds, but also planning on some low avy danger bc. We'll be based out of Park City and will have some snowboarders along. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• bcpinhead
  • [bcpinhead]
More
21 Mar 2006 04:42 #212444 by bcpinhead
Replied by bcpinhead on topic Re: March 18-19, 2006: Alta, UT
Please do me a favor and stay away from "Square Top"!!!! It is at the boundary going out of the Canyons. There is a fatality there every year.<br>There is so much terrain that you can ski without having to go near Square Top. Check out Monitor or West Monitor. If you want to hike a bit, you can decend "Meadows chutes" and skin back up to 10420, which is the highpoint at PC.<br>I was skiing Daly canyon with a buddy last week and it was awesome. I lived in PC for 10 years and had never skiid that stuff, so if you can find someone to show you that, I would recommend it.<br>There is some great glade skiing off the McConkeys lift as well.<br>You can tour from PC over the ridge and down into Big Cottonwood fairly easily. Once there, you can ski Bear trap or USA bowl. They are both fun, but USA bowl is south facing.<br><br>Anyway, have a blast!!!!<br><br>Bryan C

• fixiewrek
  • [fixiewrek]
More
21 Mar 2006 08:28 #212445 by fixiewrek
Replied by fixiewrek on topic Re: March 18-19, 2006: Alta, UT
That's funny, I've been to the Canyons once before and I think Square Top is exactly where we ended up. I'll think twice though thanks for the warning. Where is Monitor and West Monitor though?