March 14-15, 2006, Mammoth

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Mar 2006 15:08 #212429 by Zap
March 14-15, 2006, Mammoth was created by Zap
We spent the past month in Mexico visiting the Copper Canyon, shell collecting along the Sea of Cortez and getting another $250 crown. Periodically, I would visit an internet café and begin lusting about the wonderful storms hammering the PNW and Lake Tahoe area. I have developed another basic life rule: Do not travel during prime ski season, except to a ski area. <br><br>Once we crossed the border into the US and I had an internet connection, I read about the Winter Storm Warning for the Sierras. Monday morning after innocently almost being part of a Border Crossing Chase scene, we began the 500 mile drive from Yuma, AZ to Mammoth and arrived before sunset. <br><br>Tuesday, March 14 was epic. Chains were required in the town of Mammoth, blowing snow, 17 inches of new, temps in the teens and the upper lifts were closed. Damn, it felt wonderful to be back on a mountain in a blizzard. We cycled the deserted chairs on the lower part of the mountain and skied untracked powder till our quads surrendered. The wind and heavy snowfall seemed to cover our tracks within 30 minutes. We kept the chains on and returned to the hot springs area where we spent another night in the low teens with clear skies and a full moon. The furnace in the campervan kept things toasty all night.<br><br>Wednesday, March 15 was another Chains Required day but with sunny skies. The wind had scoured the entire mountain. The upper mountain was open but most of the snow was wind affected. It was a great day for pictures and skiing in the trees. I spent time planning routes for some spring tours later this season from some of the higher viewpoints. The Sherwins and Mammoth Crest were still pristine without a track. We used our Whistler Edge cards and received half price lift tickets for $31. Mammoth has another great snow pack this season and we plan to return later in April when the touring season begins.<br><br>Zap & Jill <br><br>Here is Jill next to the van after skiing in the blizzard. :)<br><br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.