Home > Trip Reports > March 13, 2006, McClellan's Butte East Face

March 13, 2006, McClellan's Butte East Face

3/12/06
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ema on 3/16/06 7:15pm

Last Monday I skied the East Face of McClellan Butte. McClellan's Butte is located in the upper Snoqualmie Valley on the south side of the I-90.  I was accompanied by Dave Perkins who skied the face from about 300 feet below the summit. I encountered excellent conditions and in those conditons I would consider it an steep ski descent of excellent quality. The descent consists of almost 2900 feet (!) fall line skiing. Steepness at the top is around 45 degrees and certainly a bit exposed.

I have posted a full trip report and route description on our web site. www.proguiding.com/PDFs/McClellan.pdf

We are currently trying to find out if the line has been skied before. Let me know if you have any info. You can e-mail it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you and I hope you all are having an awesome winter.

Cheers. Martin

Martin Volken
www.proguiding.com

Looks like a great trip.  Hopefully we will have more big snow years so that this will remain a continuous line. ;D

Nice work! Have any of your crew been on the N side chutes recently? Those looked like they were in rare form and worth the effort as well.

Thanks for the post.

Hello, Martin.  Long time.  I believe McClellan's steep faces were skiied long ago.  I did one east side one over 30 years ago, and I'm pretty sure others were well ahead of me, there, and to the north as well. Unfortunately, I can't be more specific.

Thanks for the awesome directions. Skiied this line tonight from about 4,500 feet and it was great. Short approach to the objective, and then it gets right to the point. Too bad I ran our of daylight, but not a bad tour for just 15 miles from home.

Reply to this TR

march-13-2006-mcclellan-s-butte-east-face
ema
2006-03-17 03:15:27