Home > Trip Reports > March 12, 2006, Body Bag Coulouir, Blackcomb

March 12, 2006, Body Bag Coulouir, Blackcomb

3/12/06
Canada BC
Posted by sheispiste on 3/15/06 6:01am
If I were named Mary it might have been a more perfect song. Peter H., Paul W., and I completed our own tour. Not the folksinging variety, nor in the Musical Bumps. Peter, Paul and I left a crew of friends at the Rendezvous on Blackcomb Mountain after lunch for our afternoon adventure. Under glorious skies and brilliant sunshine we skied down to catch the Glacier Chair and then the Showcase T-bar. From there we hiked into the Blackcomb Glacier and traversed along the boundary edge. A prominent rock at the backcountry gate provided a nice pit stop for my tiny bladder. I joined the guys on the other side of the gate where we stuffed jackets into and skis onto packs. The boot pack "steps" were straightforward. We veered right at the obvious Y in the terrain to round the back of Blackcomb Peak.

Avoiding a few exposed rocks we made our way down to the saddle we'd planned to drop over. This section of skiing was decent, cut up by a few previous backcountry travelers. Below us there were some serious kickers built out there. I watched one snowboarder take a fabulous leap into the air. Continuing beyond the saddle to the far ridge I spotted a few folks high away on the skyline. It turns out we'd bumped into Whistler's finest. Each dropped off the top of Disease Ridge into the sickest slots I've ever seen skied live. Sarah, a 22 year old local and the last of the three to descend, unexpectedly hucked a rock face that if she hadn't landed, would have meant certain death. They had a buddy filming just below us at the opening of what she called Body Bag Coulouir.

Relatively untracked and surprisingly wide, we found in Body Bag Coulouir three day old wind packed breakable crust that proved a bit biting. The couloir dumped into the backcountry skiers extreme left of Lakeside Bowl and Xhiggy's Meadow. We skied out on glades and boot top powder and joined our lunch crew at the base of the 7th Heaven Express Chair.

Photo [url=share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AYtWrFk1aNWJR">here. More soon.

Reply to this TR

march-12-2006-body-bag-coulouir-blackcomb
sheispiste
2006-03-15 14:01:24