Home > Forum > Binding question

Binding question

• filbo
  • [filbo]
More
09 Mar 2020 09:34 #233602 by filbo
Binding question was created by filbo
Have been skiing and touring with my Marker Barons for many years now as well as my old Dynafit Vertical ST's and the much newer G3 Ion 12.
For resort and side country the downhill performance on skis by the Barons is really unsurpassed by the lighter tech bindings and as my Barons are getting much older like myself has anyone had experience with the newer bindings that they would recommend to be as positive as the Barons are for the downhill at the resort on powder days or for lift accessed bc via the resort.
The Barons come in at about 3lbs per binding.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2020 10:29 #233603 by PhilH
Replied by PhilH on topic Re: Binding question
There's a good article and discussion over at Wildsnow on a related topic. I'm not sure I agree with the writer's conclusion but the comments are very illuminating in regards to boot, binding and ski options for resort vs backcountry.

www.wildsnow.com/27603/skiing-inbounds-forget-quiver-one/

• filbo
  • [filbo]
More
09 Mar 2020 13:25 #233604 by filbo
Replied by filbo on topic Re: Binding question
I remember that article. I want a resort binding with touring capability, so far I have not seen or heard of any binding that might out class it. My reason is that no matter where I am resort skiing I always carry a pair of skins in my light lunch pack, you never know when you might get offtrack; just me.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Mar 2020 17:58 #233609 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Binding question
I'm enjoying the set of Marker Alpinists I got this fall. Very light and ski significantly better than Dynafit Radicals. The Alpinist is a "kiss gap" heel gap design (vs Dynafits that have 5.5mm heel gap) and include some spring tension to allow the ski to flex without loading the boot and interfering with release force. With out the gap and the way the lateral release mechanism works, the result is solid engagement with the ski and a precise feel.

I run pretty low DIN settings and I don't huck big stuff or spend time in the terrain park and I'm more of a finesse skier than a bomber, so YMMV.

For resort usage I have a Fritchi/Vipec setup which I also like because precise feel from lack of heel rotation, but since getting the Alpinist I'm thinking about selling the Vipecs.

• filbo
  • [filbo]
More
09 Mar 2020 19:59 #233611 by filbo
Randy how would you compare the Alpinist to a alpine binding; as solid as or less. My barons have proven as solid as an alpine binding and perhaps a tad less if one were skiing moguls, but as a resort binding on hardpack they, so far seem the best for their weight.

• HappyCamper
  • [Greenwood Man]
More
10 Mar 2020 11:48 #233614 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Re: Binding question
I have been using Tyrolia Adrenalin's as my primary resort binding for a couple years and occasionally tour with them. I believe they are lighter than the Baron's and have held up well.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 Mar 2020 08:40 #233618 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Binding question

Randy how would you compare the Alpinist to a alpine binding; as solid as or less.   My barons have proven as solid as an alpine binding and perhaps a tad less if one were skiing moguls, but as a resort binding on hardpack they, so far seem the best for their weight.

I have no idea -- I haven't skied on an alpine setup since the '70s.

• filbo
  • [filbo]
More
11 Mar 2020 09:53 #233619 by filbo
Wow that's over 50 years ago. I was hoping I might hear about the new Salomon Shift here or the Kingpin and other touted bindings from real user's experience.
Thanks for all the comments greatly appreciated

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
11 Mar 2020 11:03 #233620 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Binding question
I have the newer Dynafit Rotation bindings on my winter touring skis. They are pretty heavy. But you get full DIN release in a pin binding, good touring features, and it skis well. I skied at Monarch mountain on monday with those skis and didn't feel like the bindings were holding me back at all. No prerelease unlike my older Dynafits, smoother ski feel throughout the flex of a turn.

Honestly it sounds like you should just stick with the Barons if they work for you. I agree with the Wildsnow article that alpine bindings inbounds are best.