telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
03/30/20, 03:09 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2020 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  February 2020 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Feb. 22, 2020, Mt. Catherine (the dumb way)
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Notify of replies | Print
Author Topic: Feb. 22, 2020, Mt. Catherine (the dumb way)  (Read 793 times)
fuzz
1Member

Feb. 22, 2020, Mt. Catherine (the dumb way)
« on: 02/26/20, 12:31 PM »

Had always wanted to do this.  Just maybe not quite as stupidly as we ended up doing it. 

I mean, it just sits there right behind Hyak!  Gotta do it.  Esp. on a horrible weather day.

INTERNET notes that Mt. Catherine features "interesting" terrain, complicated route finding and doesn't necessarily offer much good actual skiing. 

True! Maybe. 

Curiosity and a start long before the Hyak lifts opened led us to the GRAND TOUR, skinning the XC track from HYAK ~6 miles around the south side of Catherine to the western edge of the Catherine ridgeline, whereupon in the drizzle/99% relative humidity we grunted a fresh skin track eastward up through 10"-12" of gunk to the summit. Beautiful and stormy and rimey toward the top. And, surprise!, there's the well-worn skin track coming in from the east side up the ridge.

Followed some tracks straight off the summit into the small bowl trending NNW.  Nifty terrain there and for the next maybe 700-800 vertical feet and if it hadn't been possibly the worst snow I've ever encountered in 50+ years of skiing, I can see how this section would be worth the tour. 

Where things level out at the bottom of that first series of pitches, we saw tracks exiting eastward, skier's right...but looked like some shuffling and maybe some sidestepping.  Should we follow those? No, let's contour left down this creek (MISTAKE NUMBER TWO).

Long story short, we hacked and shuffled our way down and across some flats and had to cross various creeks a few times, including doffing skis and jumping across or climbing down 10'-12' and back up (tho this did offer the opportunity for me to complete the obligatory, has-to-happen-at-least-once-on-every-trip-in-the-Cascasdes Fred Beckey Memorial Thrash, complete with pulling on tree branches while stemming overhanging open book of rotten snow).   

Back up over Hyak on the lift, maybe 5 hours total.  THESE ARE THE GOOD TIMES, PEOPLE!

Moral of the story: Contour right back toward Hyak lift before you bench out after the good skiing at the top.

* mount_catherine_dumb_stream_crossing_resize.jpg (51.05 KB, 408x612 - viewed 99 times.)
« Last Edit: 03/08/20, 11:38 PM by fuzz » Logged
Carbonj
1Member

Re: Feb. 22, 2020, Mt. Catherine (the dumb way)
« Reply #1 on: 02/26/20, 05:52 PM »

Please post pictures of overhanging open snow book, have only seen bad drawings of such animal in first edition of freedom of the hills, Of course Fred would of flashed it with 215cm wooden skis.
mikerolfs

« Reply #2 on: 02/26/20, 07:18 PM »

Hey nice report! Sounds like type 2 fun.
Chamois

« Reply #3 on: 02/26/20, 07:41 PM »

Ha!  Been there done that!  Except I had the dog and she had fun, including nipping the ankle of a lyca-clad skate skier when we crossed the trail. 
bigeo

« Reply #4 on: 02/26/20, 08:54 PM »

Of course, there's more than one way to skin a Cat., but some are better than others.
fuzz
1Member

« Reply #5 on: 03/04/20, 08:58 AM »

Please post pictures of overhanging open snow book, have only seen bad drawings of such animal in first edition of freedom of the hills, Of course Fred would of flashed it with 215cm wooden skis.

Well I will admit to being so old that the last time I was on a tour with M., who was my partner on this outing, M. may have been on his 215cm Phoenix telemark skis, which people of my vintage will recall were the shiznizzle...back in the 1880s or so...
Pages: [1] | Go Up Notify of replies | Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.