Home > Forum > Franken-Binding. Vipec Evo

Franken-Binding. Vipec Evo

• Bikeskier
  • [Bikeskier]
More
21 Feb 2020 14:47 #233540 by Bikeskier
Franken-Binding. Vipec Evo was created by Bikeskier
www.wildsnow.com/23780/fritschi-diamir-tecton-toe-teardown-evo/

any thoughts on improving forward pivot by grinding down the Step-in Toe guide (area at the green sticker) and maybe the toe Bump Release? i would love for the TLT8 boot to work with my Vipec Evo 12 (18/19 MY, improved toe bumper) but in walk mode the boot toe hits the Step-In toe guide at 41* (ha- not even the bumper release) but in ski mode boot hits bumper at 30* (which is a positive since in a ski fall my heels out so the sooner my toe releases the better). This is by far the worst of 5 boots I tested (Procline, TLT8, Hoji Pro, TLT speedfit, Maestrale RS.
I mocked up the binding and TLT8 to get measurements and play with it to get an idea of what moves and contacts what. In the photo removing the toe bumper by removing the pin, did you see the arched path/slot that pin travels in? (seen easiest by putting lever to stepin mode and freely moving the toe bumper) The arch nearly reaches the green stepin guide. also seen from the top is a single slit for the return spring that wraps the pin. Below the pin on the toe bumpers lowest point are the tabs that clamp the bumper to the toe guide. Thankfully your pic shows me that they seem somewhat insignificant. So does that mean the pin traveling the arch is where the force of the boot pressing on the bumper for release is exerted? Furthermore, in the opposite, the pin hitting the end/top of the arch path could be strong enough to stop the rearward travel of the toe bumper when going from stepin to ski?
A big concern is removing too much material from the green area of the guide to allow better boot rotation but weaken the stopping potential of the stepin guide at the top where it looks like an overhanging header. The earlier versions (2016 Black TUV) that did not have the bumper or stepin guide looked like they had plenty of room for the TLT8 to rotate but those had other issues I guess.
Its probably unlikely to put it all back together to test grinding the stepin guide. Any chance anyone has a spare/broken toe binding to take a 'crack' at it?
Thank you for any further information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.