Home > Forum > 2/19 - Crystal

2/19 - Crystal

• CD
  • [CD]
More
19 Feb 2020 15:54 #233538 by CD
2/19 - Crystal was created by CD
A 3.5 out of 5 day.

Not a cloud in the sky bluebird today, but a cold SE breeze from time to time. 2 out of 2 for weather.

Dropped into GV right and immediately put on the brakes. Whoa, this ain't Montana! Off piste deteriorated from yesterday. Powder Bowl was just so-so and not worth a repeat. Same with Bear Pits. Best snow was the right side of Snorting Elk and Ann's run into Collarbone. The Valley started skiing better as the day went on. Fortunately, the grooming was excellent with lots of glitter in the snow in the morning. Sluiceway and Berry Patch were groomed as well as lower Bull. Quite a few top to bottoms. Lower E was doable on the far right side in the shade. At 12:30, we tried a run down Gulley-Gulley. It was starting to soften in a couple places, but we didn't think it would ever get there. 1.5 out of 3 for snow.

Tomorrow will be a mostly groomer day unless the front side gets some sun softening. Right now, the forecast is for light winds, sunny, and rising snow levels, so maybe it will be OK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Feb 2020 19:52 #233543 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: 2/19 - Crystal

Persuaded the wife to go on a tour with me for my birthday.
Straight off the Gondi I dropped off the backside solo to check it out and found smooth wind buff with about 6" penetration. Strong cold wind smoothed out all the previous tracks.
Good to go so I skinned out and collected the missus for her sidecountry run.
Tricky entry due to snow dunes between scoured ice but I got her through that to the good stuff.
T2Bs after that and I tried the frontside and it was chunky.
Then I left the wife and went out South to my favorite shaded entry near 3 way.
Big cornices requiring a 6 ft drop in. Skied good but did already have tracks in it.
Spent the afternoon lapping short north and chasing the sun .
Excellent day.

More
19 Feb 2020 20:16 - 19 Feb 2020 20:20 #233544 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: 2/19 - Crystal

Persuaded the wife to go on a tour with me for my  birthday.
Straight...,
...Excellent day.

Congrats on a great day!  Happy another year! Got mine last week, always great to get a nice ski day on the B-day.