Home > Trip Reports > March 12, 2006, Yodelin

March 12, 2006, Yodelin

3/12/06
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Marcus on 3/12/06 6:56pm
This was our third trip to Yodelin this year -- I must be in a rut, but when the rut keeps getting filled with powder, who's to complain?

Nate, Kirsten, Anastasia and I took the skin highway up from the lot and spent a few hours farming the ridge.  The tree runs were deep, deep, with 6-8 inches of fluffy stuff on top of another 16-18 of denser powder.  Had to be patient to get the skis around, or bounce a lot, Tigger-like.  The open slope in the middle was pretty well tracked up, with the skin track smack in the middle, but we found many stretches of untouched before cutting through the upper trees for a last run down the front side.

North aspects should be good for a couple days more -- even the open slope, which was in the sun all day, held the same 6" of powder over that dense base.  Turn a little to the west though and it's crusting up pretty good.  The old runs straight down to the parking lot were hard breakable in the morning and mashed potatoes in the afternoon.  Nice to bomb straight back to the car though.
Yeah, what a surprisingly good day.  It was only our second trip so it wasn't feeling quite as played out.  Did not expect the open slopes to be that nice.  The skin track cutting right across the middle of it was a little annoying.  Here's a video:

Good work~

We all have out go to's!!  Were you folks the peeps that reported the slab side listed on the NWAC AVY forcast?  If so was it on the face directly below where the ridge line gets into the trees?

Nice video work...as always

cheers

No, nothing slid on our side of the freeway (at least not while we were there), but we could see what looked like a big slab had let loose across the freeway on Nason Ridge (?).  The bed surface was glimmering in the sun and it looked like there were ski tracks heading directly into it.  Kind of creepy.  We took pictures of it, which I'll post this evening.  I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it.

Hi Chris,

EDIT:  Yeah, I forgot about the slide across the way.  Nason's on the other side of Smith Brook and Lichtenberg though -- that ridge runs down off of Skyline.  Is that Heather?  Not sure...

That wasn't us -- I wonder where it was...  Conditions were fairly stable, but we didn't really ski anything that was steep enough to move, except that last pitch to the car (which was delicious, chopped up mashed potatoes).

Excellent editing Nate, as usual.  Who's that snowman midway through?  Couldn't of been me...  Nope, definitely not... :)

Reply to this TR

march-12-2006-yodelin
Marcus
2006-03-13 02:56:38