2/15/20 Whistler in Mid Season Form

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 Feb 2020 15:26 #233519 by avajane
2/15/20 Whistler in Mid Season Form was created by avajane
Beautiful soft, light snow, good visability and no crowds made for a 6 Star day. Creekside Gondola started letting people up at 8:05, I'm sure anticipating crowds that came, but were immediately dispersed around the mountain, as the whole Alpine opened not that much after 9am. Also, the word of the day was that Vancouver didn't show up as this is a "Blackout" Holiday weekend if you have an Epic Local Pass...Worked our great for us. Skied small amounts of light powder on Red, Garbonzo and Emerald, and then jumped on peak for my first trip all year! Should have gone all the way down but was worried about crowds coming back up. Skied Upper Peak to Creek, Frontier Pass Powder, and Highway 86. Anxious to get to Symphony, we hoped on Harmony and got to Symphony shortly after opening. A few inches of light powder had us playing in the bowls, glades, and trees all morning and the crowded never came! Would have gotten deeper powder by hiking Flute, but it just didn't seem worth it. Had a late lunch and finished up with another Peak experience. I decided to cut the corner from Upper Hiway 86 to Peak to Creek and it was a great call. I stayed on Dusty's and wiggled powder bumps for miles...Once back to Peak to Creek the snow started to harden and ball up but then quickly turned to spring for the rest of the way down. Some might have called the top foggy, but I had a near perfect 5,200' of mixed skiing to end the day. My guess is more of the same until the sun or warmth wreck the snow down low. My guess is that the backcountry is on the safe side, but may not have enough new deep snow for all out skiing. But at this time of year, with a moderate rating, the backcountry does look appealing...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
17 Feb 2020 00:42 #233524 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: 2/15/20 Whistler in Mid Season Form
Same as yesterday but slightly more crowded, colder, and no new snow. Great top to bottom skiing!

2/16/20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.