Home > Forum > Apex & Big White

Apex & Big White

• Quick foot
  • [Quick foot]
More
13 Feb 2020 13:16 #233504 by Quick foot
Apex & Big White was created by Quick foot
Big White
We had never been to Big White, so with a decent weather window forecast, up we go. The drive is four lanes except for the Bellinghan - Sumas stretch.  A very nice ABNB night in Kelowna, then to big White.  The weather man said " partial clearing" , well Big White Out lived up to its name. The upper mountain was socked in land basically unskiable, however the mid mountain areas had nice snow and decent viz. There is enough tree skiing and mellow bump runs to keep things interesting.  Only one lift had a bit of a line, otherwise ski on.  Was it worth another trip?  Well if you can get there with better Visability. 

On the other hand--
Apex
This place is something else.  I have never been anywhere that has more legit black and double black runs with so few people. .  A local told us that Apex has the largest percentage of black runs of any ski area in North America and we believed it.  A lot of the groomers here are longer/steeper than those anywhere.  One whole side of the mountain is a series of mogul cut runs with pitches from 'let me catch my breath' to 'yikes', with a nicely pitched wide catchline at the bottom that you can hall ass on.  We skied on the blacks most of the time and it was rare to see anybody. 
Tickets and slope side lodging were cheep.  We drive home 97 to Stevens Pass. this was our second trip to Apex and won't be our last.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2020 14:10 #233505 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Apex & Big White
Nice report on Apex. We spent nights near the main highighway and when they had RV parking near the ski area.

The terrain is great.😉

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.