Home > Trip Reports > March 12, 2006, Red Mtn. Pt. 5722 ( Cle Elum Val.)

March 12, 2006, Red Mtn. Pt. 5722 ( Cle Elum Val.)

3/12/06
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 3/12/06 4:25am
See my Feb. 25 trip report for approach.  A slightly different upper tour today to get north facing shady snow.  Larry_R. and I met up with our Ellensburg Ski club friends Pico, Margy, Judy, and Scott.  Bill S. also joined us after an early Wash. State Ferry commute!
After the clearcut approach we detoured up the ridge separating the northernmost and second basins.  This started as open subalpine forest and quickly turned into a georgeous gentle open ridge climb.  At the terminous are three tightly spaced peaklets of near equal height (5720+).  See Point 5722' on map.  The drop into the northside entailed either an Upper International type entrance or a 50 foot downclimb (not difficult) on snowy rocks.  Our party split to choose one or the other.  Quickly we regrouped for a very nice run of great powder all the way down the northern basin to the logging road at 3800 feet.  The shady trees and north facing slopes are still holding excellent snow!
Then came the east facing clearcut from 3800 to 2800 feet.  Breakable heck!  But the skiing above had been so good it was worth it.

Of note: we saw great looking tracks off the true summit (5890+) from the day before (see my Feb. trip report).  Congrats to whoever found that run.  Seemed they also avoided the east facing lower slopes too.  I will have to investigate that option!  Thanks to all who made up this great crew, it was quite fun to share this beautiful mountain day.
Sounds like you hit the jackpot again.  If I hadn't already commited to Paradise I'd have been there too.  I'm curious on how you're descent varied from the time we did it a few years ago.  I'm also amazed that Bill S. was able to drag himself out for his 3rd day of the week.  Talk about the energizer bunny.

What a great trip! I sure want to thank John for dragging my sorry rear end up the hill. I wasn't completely recovered from midweek ski camping, but it was worth it. A learning experience for me too, not being used to skiing with a group, and normally stopping for more clothing when my hands go numb/white, or snacking on a power bar when my blood sugar gets low, or controlling my own pace. But the group was so kind in putting up with me.

This aspect of Red Mtn. had a very different feel from that just across the valley where I have skied so much. It also has a different feel from Paris Creek, or Thorp Creek. That's what's nice about the Cle Elum valley; variety within a small area, good parking, and a plow that comes by each day it snows so you aren't going to get stranded.

Sunday was my first real test of my new rando setup (TLTs, Atomic MX 11s, Scarpa Martix boots) and the conditions were super for it. Twenty plus years ago when I stopped bumming around Crystal Mtn. I thought that I would never again get that old time feeling of skiing deeper snow with skis that I liked. I had given up resort skiing for good, and until recently there wasn't any gear that was light enough for me to snow camp with that also would have the performance that I would hope for. But Sunday I got that old time religion again! A bit rusty after all this time, but I can see the light. All I need is a few more turns in snow like that off the top. A few; 10 or 20 or a few hundred, untracked of course.   :)

Sunday was my first real test of my new rando setup (TLTs, Atomic MX 11s, Scarpa Martix boots) and the conditions were super for it.  A bit rusty after all this time, but I can see the light. All I need is a few more turns in snow like that off the top.

From what I saw you haven't forgotten a thing.  Wish I were that graceful.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot again.  If I hadn't already commited to Paradise I'd have been there too.  I'm curious on how you're descent varied from the time we did it a few years ago.  I'm also amazed that Bill S. was able to drag himself out for his 3rd day of the week.  Talk about the energizer bunny.

Jim, snow in the basin rivaled last time.  Remember back to when we left the top of the clearcut heading to the north basin on the upper logging road.  This time we instead skinned directly out of the clearcut onto the ridge rimming the south side of the same northernmost basin we skied two years ago.  Thus, when we attained the high point at the west end of this ridge we skied down into the upper bowl of that same basin. 2/3's of the way down the basin slopes we joined the route you were with us for.  An option for a strong day could be to ski this run then skin up to the true summit (that we did with you) for a second run.  Make any sense?
Good to hear from you.
John

Reply to this TR

march-12-2006-red-mtn-pt-5722-cle-elum-val
John Morrow
2006-03-12 12:25:35