Home > Trip Reports > December 21, 2002, Mt. Rainier, Paradise area

December 21, 2002, Mt. Rainier, Paradise area

12/21/02
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Tim on 12/21/02 11:18pm
First day of the season for all 4 of us snow-starved skiers. And what a day! Found maybe 15 to 20 inches of pretty light snow over a firm base. Did several laps on what we call "Favorite run", the slopes just above the Paradise valley road hair-pin. Last run was the trees on skiers right and it was really soft and deep here. Even got some face-shots! Then it was over to the west aspects of Mazama to what we know as "Laura's run". Decided not to try the back bowls since had a report from Friday that the east wind was really howling on top of the ridge. But west aspects were sweet although a little stiff in some spots where I suspect the wind had more effect. Only saw maybe 6 other knee-droppers the whole day. Maybe everyone was at the mall?
We (me, Regine, and our adult kids) were up there today soon.  Thought I saw Robie leaving the parking lot as we drove up.  Started up to Pan Pt. but could feel highly variable snow conditions underneath and the top was socked in and Edith Basin was showing some low clouds.  We traversed Edith Basin--some sort of wind or melt-freeze crust under 8 inches of fresh; the ski down to the Paradise River was sweet! even if some poachers had beat us to it.  We traversed up to Mazama ridge and skied it down again 4 times and it was as good as it was Thursday.  On the way down say lots of people having fun--4WDs in uncontrolled skids, chained up vehicles (chains on all 4 wheels) in the ditch, impacts in snow banks, etc.  I had put my truck in 4WD low cuz on Thursday I couldn't gear down low enought to avoid gaining on some slow vehicles, worked great today; average speed down to Longmire had to be around 12 mph.  Saw lots of AT types wandering around looking lost  ;) and lots of snowshoers and XC skiers; but didn't really encounter any telemark skiers of AT skiers actually skiing down!  Did see the tracks above Paradise Valley Road, tho. abc

Yeah, I think Robie was going to try to get out today even though his knee is still bothering him.  Hope the knee is better and the snow was good.  Thanks for the TR, Andy.

Reply to this TR

december-21-2002-mt-rainier-paradise-area
Tim
2002-12-22 07:18:16