Home > Trip Reports > March 11, 2006, Mt Hood area

March 11, 2006, Mt Hood area

3/11/06
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 3/11/06 6:44am

(me)

Today was my 26th birthday. It was also one of the nicest powder days I've had in the backcountry of Mt Hood. We skied on W and NW aspects between 4000-5300ft. Conditions consisted of the material dreams are made of. The powder was light and deep. Our snowpits revealed a favorable snowprofile of lower density snow onto of higher density snow. Shovel compression tests required several firm swings from the elbow to get layers to move. We shared our location with a group of 3 who put in an excellent skin track. There were more skiers in the area (even a group and their Dynafits from PMR) but they choose the slopes north of us. It's difficult to imagine a better birthday ski day.

Ann:

Andy:

looks nice. happy b-day

where'd you guys ski?

jim

Happy Birthday, Jeff - looks like you got a present you'll remember all year long!

Great Day!!

Thanks for the "Mt. Hood Area" designation. Hardly a secret location, but not as overrun as Newton creek can be.

Mr. D (PMR group of 3...but no dynafits for this guy)

Get back to work Mr. D

Get back to work Mr. D

Busted by the man.

Shouldn't you be replying to Dru's latest post on cascade climbers?

BTW - where those brakes on your guys' Dynafits I saw in the parking lot on Saturday?! If so take them off. You'll save almost 4.25 ounces per ski!

I compromise by having a brake on only one ski.  Actually one of mine ripped off when the ski released.  Generally ski brakes shouldn't do that. :D  It was hard to keep it on the ski after that, and I eventually lost it on Mt. Rainier.

So do you use leashes?  I've been thinking about taking the bd clipwires off my (your old) hammerheads and using those.

So do you use leashes?

I use leashes, but not the leashes that come with the Dynafits. I use a variation of what Lou Dawson recommends here (scroll way down). They work well and weigh next to nothing.

Reply to this TR

march-11-2006-mt-hood-area
Jeff Huber
2006-03-11 14:44:11