Home > Forum > 1/17 - Crystal

1/17 - Crystal

• CD
  • [CD]
More
17 Jan 2020 15:37 #233339 by CD
1/17 - Crystal was created by CD
A 4.5 out of 5 day.

Went through the 'Claw early and still got stuck in a string of 25 cars ahead of us. By the time we hit the long straight just before the Blvd, there was 30 cars behind us. We were all driving way too slow due to one guy at the head of the line that wouldn't pull over. I guess the obvious is lost on the clueless. Our three-person car-pool was once again denied in A-lot.

Weather was cold with mild winds and fluctuated between clearing and light snow showers, but visibility was never affected. 2 out of 2 for weather.

The snow was fantastic, but I'm giving it a 2.5 out of 3 just because it wasn't the deep light powder from earlier in the week. But, it was go anywhere packed powder with a few powder stashes left in places. We didn't have a bad run.

Today, it was decided that Ann's Run Right will be renamed Collarbone as a tribute to our fallen amigo who is out for the season.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
17 Jan 2020 17:13 #233341 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Re: 1/17 - Crystal

Today, it was decided that Ann's Run Right will be renamed Collarbone as a tribute to our fallen amigo who is out for the season.

Thanks for the run name, although out-for-the-season, I would have rather been with you guys today. Amigoette concurred on your condition assessment.

Today was the first day since The Incident that I've felt like a real human being again. A non-skiing human at least. Posted a full update with pictures of the fiasco today.
Season Over

Thanks again to CD and my ski gang for getting me out of the worst skiing predicament of my career.

I'll be back come November snow willing.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
17 Jan 2020 21:31 #233344 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: 1/17 - Crystal
Big puffy leftovers everywhere. I got 2 sets of lap while we swapped dog-sitting duty. The Throne skied great. I dig that carpet thing they put in at the top of 6 to get past the funk. Very nice vis and the first non-full conditions in 2 weeks.
Sorry about the injury and I hope you mend well.

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
17 Jan 2020 21:50 #233345 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Re: 1/17 - Crystal
Yep, I agree with a 4.5 out of 5 day. And it's only because the powder was a day old! Chair 6 to South and back up - repeat 5x. PB between the cannons, Signline Right down to skier's left of the BP rope until rope ended and then right into middle BP was very nice -- did that 2x. Never had to ski Rex, GV or NWay. Our hamster of Chinook-FQ-C6 yielded up true top-to-bottom powder skiing -- gosh I've been saying that all week!!! This has been an excellent storm cycle.

All the cut snow we skied was easily recut -- and we found plenty of untracked in our stashes. Also named a run as CD did, but minus the bone trauma: "Don't Show Martin". Elizabeth Creek drainage including parts of the creek itself were very nice and well worth the effort. Secret  lines in the Fardoggle environs allowed us to finish up our A-Basin starts at the bottom of chair 4 - the last creek crossing was a bit of work as we laid the exit trail for days to come.  The longest lift line was 4 min on C6 @ 11 am - but that could change on Saturday.

I've concluded that temps and winds reported by the resort on its daily mountain report are sometimes wrong and here is this morning's weirdness (1/17/2020, 5 a.m.) NWAC had GV and Summit at 11F and 8F, respectively. The resort, however, was was showing 25F -- so I took a screenshot of this madness. Wind direction is also often wrong also. So not sure what to think...other than to always corroborate what a ski resort tells you.