Home > Forum > January 11, 2020 Alta plus 9" more

January 11, 2020 Alta plus 9" more

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Jan 2020 20:45 #233278 by Zap
We started the day at the lower bus route 994 for Alta/ Snowbird. We got a seat and the 30 minute ride became 60 minutes because of an accident on the route. At least we had seats for the long ride and a chance to chat with some locals.

The temperature was posted at 22 degrees with strong winds and fresh snow. We went in the singles line and it moved pretty fast. Skiers only - it is one of the few resorts with that rule. It was a low visibility day so we skied near the trees so we could see the trail. For a few runs the snow stopped and then began again. I like the term "refill" to describe the runs. It was truly a full blown storm day. I rode the lift with a sheriff skiing with his backcountry skis who's a local whose grandmother owns a lodge on the mountain. More friendly locals with kids and great stories. I like the new Supreme lift which is a express. The history of Alta began in 1938. The locals we met have Alta passes and have the ability to ski any other resort near SLC once a year.

The Canyon was closing at 3:15pm for 1 1/2 hours (they hoped) for Avy control. It was another AWD and chains day in the Canyon. Our 30 minute bus ride down took an hour because of the slow descent of vehicles going up or down. Much of the off piste terrain was closed due to new snow. Another fun powder day without having to drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.