Home > Forum > You think you're respecting it, but you're not

You think you're respecting it, but you're not

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
09 Jan 2020 20:46 #166344 by peteyboy
A good ski friend and I were booting up the final 20 vertical feet to the south sub-summit on Mt. Herman from Bagley Lakes today, positioning ourselves about ten feet back from the cornice lip. Suddenly we were in the air, moving straight down; felt like we chined off the rock wall and I was aware of being in the air for what seemed like a good while longer - then poof - on the slope (E facing gully). My friend got stood upright against the rock wall, unbelievably unhurt except for a hard thump on his thigh, as the double-decker bus sized cornice block exploded into pieces, ripped out the new wind-loaded snow on the top of the gully, and poured past him. I was on the slope, moving very fast in the debris, as the snow was sliding on the refrozen rained upon underlying pack. I swam my arms and made myself as broad and flat as I could and luckily stopped on top, about 200 VF below where I had dropped onto the slope, as the snow whizzed past me another 300 - 500 VF downhill. A second look suggested we had fallen maybe 50 feet with the cornice block failure. Dammit. I thought I was far enough back. I thought I respected cornices like I should. Monika was my buddy. A Glacier friend who skis Herman all the time said that cornice had sagged and developed a cleft 10 feet back - right where we booted - which was blown in like a crevasse, completely disguised. Wow, we got lucky. If the cornice bomb had made the snowpack fail deeper, we wouldn't be here. Such a lesson, survived, will never be forgotten.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
09 Jan 2020 20:52 #166345 by peteyboy
The second picture shows our skin track, which had continued up to where there are remnants of our crossways ski tracks, where we transitioned. We were a couple feet above those tracks when it failed - removing part of our approach. The other tracks just to the right (west) are a couple's downtracks.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
09 Jan 2020 20:55 #166346 by peteyboy
You can see the windlip of the cornice to the north end (below) and the south end (above where it failed) - the block that pulled out was basically a straight line connecting them. That's how wide it was. The pictures don't show how far down it was to the slope.

More
09 Jan 2020 21:58 #166348 by Micah
That sounds scary as hell! Glad you are OK.

More
19 Jan 2020 07:09 - 19 Jan 2020 17:40 #166487 by jtack
Phew! Another cautionary tail of a cornice failure, I always try and remember these stories. Thanks for the reminder, so glad both of you are here to tell the tail.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2020 17:40 by jtack.

• RyanLikes2Ski
  • [RyanLikes2Ski]
More
19 Jan 2020 14:16 #166492 by RyanLikes2Ski
Replied by RyanLikes2Ski on topic Re: You think you're respecting it, but you're not
Thank you for sharing. Serves as a powerful reminder for us all.

Grateful you guys got out unscathed.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Jan 2020 19:06 #166497 by Randito
Thanks for sharing. Glad you were only scared.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jan 2020 19:40 #166498 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: You think you're respecting it, but you're not
Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you're okay!