1/8/20 Whistler Blackcomb 4 Star Day

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Jan 2020 16:56 #233256 by avajane
1/8/20 Whistler Blackcomb 4 Star Day was created by avajane
After the slight warming to 32 yesterday, things cooled quickly overnight and with another 6" of snow, today turned out great! With mostly high clouds all day, Blackcomb was able to open 7th Heaven and Glacier, drawing the crowds (including me) from Whistler. Even though both Alpine Lifts were open, the terrain got tracked out quickly but remained soft. If Spankeys Ladder and the Glacier had been open, there would have been more opportunities for the deep. Or if Harmony and/or Peak would ever open.....Without these areas available, I ran out of good snow much too fast! I hit Crystal right after opening and skied The Burn and it was just OK for me...Still not quite enough new snow...I gave up when I saw the lift line at 7th Heaven, and I hit Glacier pretty early and had 2 great, soft runs on Heavenly Basin, and the Bite.

It was less than 20 all day, and the snow stayed very nice. I was shocked how big the crowds were at Blackcomb on a Wednesday. Visability was never a problem. The problem is that I now realize the powder goes away quickly if Peak, Harmony, Symphony, Blackcomb Glacier, and Spankeys aren't open. All of my stashes are hidden, hard, long, or hard to get to...And they are all still closed😕😕😕.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.