Home > Trip Reports > Dec 16, 2020, Mt. Shasta

Dec 16, 2020, Mt. Shasta

12/16/19
US elsewhere
Posted by snowymonk on 1/5/20 2:20am

Had a fun solo outing on Shasta and caught the summit on a rare calm winter day. The snow conditions could've been better, but is always exhilarating to get up high in the mountains. Moved back to Southern OR and am looking for other adventurers... figured I'd start posting. I'll be chasing that unicorn day when I can ski 6k+ of pow from the summit (any TRs of a summit ski in pow of Shasta?) It gets so windy up there I wonder how often the conditions line up...

Here are some pics:

Misery hill was miserable both ways...

Awesome to see a winter run on Shasta!

author=snowymonk link=topic=42409.msg166265#msg166265 date=1578248417]
I'll be chasing that unicorn day when I can ski 6k+ of pow from the summit (any TRs of a summit ski in pow of Shasta?) It gets so windy up there I wonder how often the conditions line up...

Probably not often! That's like asking to ski pow summit to car on Rainier... not likely.
Cool TR

Nice work snowymonk!  Been on that sastrugi there before (and on it on Clear Creek/upper Wintun, Hotlam-Wintun, West Face) and had fantastic near top to bottom runs (short icy gnar/sastrugi to 6K of corn to suncups) but being a visitor from NW WA, I'll never get what you got there.

Right on summit ski in winter. 👍.

Reply to this TR

dec-16-2020-mt-shasta
snowymonk
2020-01-05 10:20:17