Home > Forum > Scarpa tele boots damaged by G3 targa bindings

Scarpa tele boots damaged by G3 targa bindings

• johnspeth
  • [johnspeth]
More
16 Dec 2019 08:56 #233144 by johnspeth
I've been very happy (one exception) with my G3 Targa tele bindings mated to my Scarpa T2 Eco (and previously Scarpa T2X) since 2007. The one problem I've had is the Vibram sole bottom near the toe front edge rips the black rubber, probably from friction stretching the rubber on deep turns. My two season T2 Ecos are clearly failing in that area. I don't expect to get more than two more seasons from them.

I contacted Scarpa and they said my G3 Targas are the source of the boot destruction problem and they would not repair or replace them. My local ski shop told me that the G3 Targa Wedge solves the problem. It's a wedge under the toe that angles the toe about 5 deg. The packaging says that the wedge eliminates rocker launch. It doesn't even hint it'll solve my problem so I'm not convinced it'll work. The ski shop claimed to be knowledgeable about the problem. For $20 I figured it's worth a shot.

Does anybody have any information that would convince me that the wedge will solve my boot destruction problem?

Thanks - John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2019 17:35 #233150 by Boyd
I had the same issue with older BD Seeker tele boots and 22 Design Axl bindings. The plastic flex plate on the Axl ripped up the sole of the boots near the toe. I took the boots to Dave Page and he replaced the front half of the soles on both boots and reinforced the toe area with screws. Problem solved. Four years and many ski days later the soles still look like new. Hope this helps.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
16 Dec 2019 19:15 #233152 by mikerolfs
Dave Page is the answer to so many problems!

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
16 Dec 2019 22:33 #233155 by peteyboy
Tell us more of this Dave Page.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Dec 2019 09:12 #233157 by Randito
I would try chamfering the edges of the vibram rubber.

I don't think the rocker launch wedges will address that problem -- they are designed to solve a different problem -- a problem mostly experienced by lightweight skiers (e.g. under 150 lbs) where the curve of the telemark boot sole keeps the heel of the boot from touching the ski. Big people like me have no problem flexing the boot sole flat.

Another thing that people do is lubricate the binding/boot interface with Pam cooking spray or some sort of silicone lubricant.

FWIW: I find the Voile Switchback to be a superior telemark binding to the G3 offerings.

More
17 Dec 2019 18:33 #233158 by weezer
I just rebuilt the duck bill on my Garmont Squadras, I will reshape them in the next few days. I'm trying is to build up the missing material with shoe goo. by wrapping the toe with packaging tape, on the vertical, I was able to add a few layers of material and get it past where it needs to be. I'll take my belt sander to them and sand off the excess. " Cation" shoe goo is a living material when it comes out of the tube, there is a learning curve

• Kneel Turner
  • [Kneel Turner]
More
17 Dec 2019 18:46 #233159 by Kneel Turner
Replied by Kneel Turner on topic Re: Scarpa tele boots damaged by G3 targa bindings
This makes me think more about skiing style than equipment. The vibram rubber breaking away at the front edge shouldn't affect performance or comfort, if that's any consolation. But yeah, boots are expensive, so I can see how that would be annoying.

• johnspeth
  • [johnspeth]
More
18 Dec 2019 07:47 #233162 by johnspeth

I just rebuilt the duck bill on my Garmont Squadras, I will reshape them in the next few days. I'm trying is to build up the missing material with shoe goo. by wrapping the toe with packaging tape, on the vertical, I was  able to add a few layers of material and get it past where it needs to be. I'll take my belt sander to them and sand off the excess. " Cation" shoe goo  is a living material when it comes out of the tube, there is a learning curve

I did the exact same thing with my T2X's. It was simple enough to do although it took time to cure and shape and it looked good when it was completed. Unfortunately, the shoe goo is too soft and doesn't bind that well to rubber under heavy tugging (like a tele turn). The bottom line is it works but is not durable, for me.

• johnspeth
  • [johnspeth]
More
18 Dec 2019 07:49 #233163 by johnspeth

Tell us more of this Dave Page.

I believe this is Dave Page: www.davepagecobbler.com/