Home > Trip Reports > December 8, 2019, Hoodoo Butte Central OR Cascades

December 8, 2019, Hoodoo Butte Central OR Cascades

12/8/19
OR Mt Hood
Posted by GregLange on 12/8/19 11:47am
Heading home from Bend today, with the tools in the trunk, I got my first December run. Hopefully it's not my last one. Had checked Hoodoo webcams, and saw enough snow to at least not gouge the p-tex. Actually toured up 600' of vert, in springlike mush. With our snowpack at 4% of normal to date, I figured something is better than nothing. Surprisingly good turns, and reasonable snow give-a-bility. A few bushes peeking through, but a beautiful, quiet, lonely quickl tour to break up the drive. Time to dance for Ullr, friends!! 
"You're Going Anyway---Bring Your Skis" 
Almost nothing is better than nothing!  Sounds like there was nothing to work with at Bachelor?

Bachelor's parking policy for uphill travelers now is essentially prohibitive, with a limited daily time slot for uphill. "Greed is good!" And I had a time crunch, so the getting there-and-back added another hour +. Besides, I was all alone, except for 1 pre-season patroller, until I came across a couple opf snow shoers on my way down! Beautiful region there...

Where did you get info about Bachelor's parking policy having restrictions for uphillers?

Friends in Bend. I was told that can't even park on highway shoulder to access off-season.

I'm not aware of any parking restrictions in the Bachelor lot for uphill travelers.  If the Pine lift is running, you can skin to the Pine lodge.  If the Summit lift is running, you can skin to the summit.  They did move the uphill route a few years ago when the Cloudchaser lift was opened.  Personally, I appreciate that Bachelor welcomes uphill travelers.

Reply to this TR

december-8-2019-hoodoo-butte-central-or-cascades
GregLange
2019-12-08 19:47:49