Home > Trip Reports > December 20, 2002, Mt. Herman/Table Mtn, Baker

December 20, 2002, Mt. Herman/Table Mtn, Baker

12/20/02
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Charles on 12/20/02 9:43am
Five of us - one with snowboard, one with AT, and three with tele gear - started out from the ski area parking lot under lots of blue and some scattered clouds, maybe 4' of snowpack. We were a bit concerned about the east wind which had been whistling over the Cascades the previous day, although there was no evidence of significant wind at the parking lot. We decided to check out our choices at Herman Saddle, and there was a good uptrack from the parking lot, across the flats and up the main drainage toward the saddle, but we began to encounter areas of drifted-in uptrack and stiff wind-packed snow as we got higher. Herman Saddle itself looked pretty wind-affected (east wind), and the uptrack kept going up the S side of Mt. Herman, so we followed it. We stopped at about 5500' , had a snack in the sun, then started down. We found fairly deep loose snow, not exactly fluffy powder but nothing was sliding. Until, that is, we got over closer to some sunny cliffs, which had started to sluff snow and ice which were triggering some small chunky slides (we looked back later and saw some larger ones had covered many of our tracks). Still reasonable turning, until we got down near the valley floor where there were more wind-stiffened areas.

We had been seeing people descending various lines on the north slopes of Table Mountain, and only rare small loose sluffs being triggered on the steepest parts, so we crossed the flats and did a long climbing traverse to get to about 5000' on the shady slopes, where it was quite cold - 14 degrees F at 3:30. In a few places some moderate sized avalanches had come down previously and were covered by 4-6" of new snow; at least some of these were natural, starting from cliffs, and there was one clear fracture crown of maybe a foot. The rest of the snow was beautiful - cold, fluffy, loose, about 12" before any pole resistance, about 36" total above a 6" rain crust, and coverage was fully adequate. We climbed west to the last line which had tracks (directly under the east end of the Table Mountain plateau) and started down. It was as good as we expected it to be, face shots with enough speed and very stable, so we climbed back and did it again. It was great to be skiing in that kind of snow again after the long dry fall.

Our snowboarder had a difficult time ascending, with his snowshoes punching through the well-established uptrack in many places, but once descending on his board it was clear that his was the best gear for making turns, especially on the sunny run on the south side of Mt. Herman. Our return drive on I-5 was enlivened by almost ending up in one of those multi-car pile ups you read about in the newspaper; hard braking to a complete stop from 60 mph, tires squealing, cars drifting right and left trying to avoid hitting the similarly decelerating car just in front of them. Possibly due to lots of holiday shoppers merging? It was easily the scariest part of the whole trip, and our beacons wouldn't have done a bit of good even if we had still been wearing them.

There are some photos from this trip here.
Nice report Charles, sounds like you had a great day except for those holiday shoppers.  Glad you guys weren't a victim of a multi car.  Things seem to be much simpler in the BC.   ;)

Yes indeed, Charles not only does nice tele turns but nice Saturn turns while avoiding objective dangers on the return home!!

On the snow stability issue it will be interesting to see how the rain crust at 36" will act when loaded with a bit more  snow. The pit dug at 4400 ft or so south east facing showed fairly fairly easy failure at the crust surface. I recall some clear nights after that rain and wonder if on steeper aspects with some hoar frost development how well bonded will this be.

Certainly in our location yesterday afternoon. Surface crystals of 1-4 mm were already forming in the clear still air.

A pleasent day out ..now if I can just remember how to ski fresh snow again.......

CW

A pleasent day out ..now if I can just remember how to ski fresh snow again.......

CW

I think it's a little like riding a bike. ;D ;D

Hey Charles, Thanks for writing the TR.  As the lone AT skier, I had a blast and was the best skiing I had in this "early season" and I am looking forward to the pictures from the trip.  Also, I hope your saturn doesn't have any significant damage.  

Enjoy,

Joshua

Charles The template of trip reports! Looks like you guys had an excellent day! Spent the day at Stevens on Fri., limited runs but good quality snow. Merry Christmas !  8)

Reply to this TR

december-20-2002-mt-herman-table-mtn-baker
Charles
2002-12-20 17:43:57