December 7, 2019 Xtal

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Dec 2019 23:51 - 09 Dec 2019 08:59 #233102 by telemack
December 7, 2019 Xtal was created by telemack
Very warm and bare today, only 4 runs open on Chex and Quicksilver.  Lots B through E all mostly full. First task was to get my "uphill card" from ski patrol.  2-3 pages of reading, sign a waiver, get a free blank yellow card with your name handwritten by a real patroller!  Be sure to tie it on to something that flaps around.  "Gonna let my freak flag fly, fly." 
I got my first lift rides since April---not counting August on Timberline, when I had to hike 1200' and skin to make turns before schmoozing 2 free rides from a hip attendant.
After a couple of rounds on the groomed, which skied like April, I decided to picnic at CB again.  For now they want everyone climbing FQ or summit area (I guess some people actually prefer rocks this year) to use 1 gate at Midway.  Going left this way delivered a 2-day-old track up Rolling Knolls skimming all the brush.  Then it was cat-track cobbles up to the lodge. 
2-4" + of smashed potatoes down Magoos was tricky; skied like May.  Then Chappelle's coughed up some big boulders! After more lift rides on Quick and Chex in a drizzle I left, December and 147 months of TAY checked off.  Traffic on the drive up was very light, back was manageable with backups going through the reservation.  I sure hope this isn't the BEST snow of December   :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.