Home > Trip Reports > Nov 27-29, 2019, White River, Mt. Hood, OR

Nov 27-29, 2019, White River, Mt. Hood, OR

11/27/19
OR Mt Hood
Posted by evanraj513 on 12/2/19 2:48am
Skied the early week storm snow, in what was Hood's first real snow of the season. Expected rocks and logs, stream crossings, and whatnot. Ended up being the best early season turns of the year. Waist deep in parts, with face shots, first time before the new year that has happened for me. Snow was very stable, with the cold weather keeping it light and fluffy. With little in the forecast over the next week, was happy to get out and after it in a classic opt-outside Black Friday.

Hoping the season will continue to get good, and hope to find more reports from here in OR!
Way to gamble and win! Did the snow bridge over the river seem like it would stick around for a while if we don't get more snow?

I was up there yesterday and crossed over at 5200 ft and came back little lower around 5000 ft. I was able to find two snow bridges, but it was very nerve-racking during the crossing. The water was flowing pretty fast and starting to wash away the edges of the snow-pack and took out a few snow bridges. It warmed up pretty quick yesterday and don't think they will stick around longer.

I actually went a new way this time; I crossed the bridge and went from White River East as opposed to West. This allowed me to not do the river crossing, but it was a long traverse in some dense trees. I think this might be my preferred way of looping up back to Meadows with more snow, however, if the river isn't crossable. It was dense, but doable.

I thought about that route and starred at it on Google Earth, but I always see Iron creek and its branches along with the bush whacking as a problem. Especially in mid winter. Did you travel back the same way?

Reply to this TR

nov-27-29-2019-white-river-mt-hood-or
evanraj513
2019-12-02 10:48:24