Home > Trip Reports > November 30, 2019, Camp Muir

November 30, 2019, Camp Muir

11/30/19
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by aaasen on 12/2/19 1:58am
Quick report on conditions around Paradise.

Very bony until Pebble Creek. Booted a section above Pan Point, microspikes would be nice. Ice and wind board on the Muir Snowfield with a few pockets of light wind-drifted powder. Ski crampons nice. Checked out the Paradise Glacier but it was scoured down to water ice and looked very unpleasant so we continued to Muir. Nisqually Chute was not in.

Descent was surprisingly good with a few pockets of powder but mostly hard wind-sculpted snow and ice. Managed to make it to the parking lot with only one 20ft carry that is probably avoidable.

Take care to stay off the heather until it fills in a bit more.
Thanks for the report. Slow start to winter this year.

Yeah thanks for the update. I tried to go Friday only to hear they would not open the gate that day. After a short man baby fit and appology to the poor ranger for my salty language I just rolled on to White pass and took a run there.

Very slow start to winter this year! I thought last year was bad but there was solid coverage of the Paradise area and even the Tatoosh this time last year. I know it was predicted but that wet and cold October gave me some hope.

No road opening on Friday sounds frustrating, although it was unforeseen SAR so I get it. On Saturday the gate opened at about 9:20am and closed at 4:00pm for "expected weather-related road conditions". Not sure what was up with that since the road was dry and no weather was coming in.

author=aaasen link=topic=42283.msg165986#msg165986 date=1575321311]
Very slow start to winter this year! I thought last year was bad but there was solid coverage of the Paradise area and even the Tatoosh this time last year...

NWS is saying November was the driest at Paradise in fifty years, with the 3rd-lowest snowpack:
https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1201731799769944064

Reply to this TR

november-30-2019-camp-muir
aaasen
2019-12-02 09:58:08