Home > Trip Reports > October 26, 2019, Hood, Silcox Couloir

October 26, 2019, Hood, Silcox Couloir

10/26/19
OR Mt Hood
Posted by GregLange on 10/30/19 11:43am
Aptly named (perhaps by me?), this is the gully whereby Palmer Snowfield skiers and boarders can almost make it back to Timberline at the end of their summer days.

Arrived Timberline about 1:00 PM, and found the snow from earlier in October somewhat melted, but MUCH better than the Bagley Lakes Postage Stamp has offered in some time! On snow in 15 minutes, and a quiet skin up about 1000 vert feet to Miracle Mile mid-station/Silconx Hut. Snow in the coolie was dirty but cornish. Thought about going further up, but snow cat groomers and cooler temps had made the gliding surface less appealing. Turned the boards South and, save for a few scratches on the newly tuned base, had a ball! Met an uphill hiker duo, Nina (89 years young, from Czech Republic) who regaled me with 30 minutes of mountain chatter. HINT: Listen to your elders when you get a chance...And Nina's much younger partner, Gary, only 72 years of sage. A nice social treat to ring in the conclusion of 264 months of TAY!

The Hood stop was on my way to Bend to see my long-time TAY partner, Lara P. Sunday morning, we walked up from the Bachelor base area near the halfpipe, about 1/2 mile (250 vert), and pointed the tools downhill - In 30 knot winds, with an icy 3" base, in 0 F. windchill! Friendship is ALWAYS worth the turns. On to November, and the beginning of 12 more months of fun and games!

Reply to this TR

october-26-2019-hood-silcox-couloir
GregLange
2019-10-30 18:43:51