Home > Trip Reports > Oct 20, 2019, white pass touring

Oct 20, 2019, white pass touring

10/20/19
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by filbo on 10/21/19 12:29am
Slushy and icy at 4500' but a nice covering for the skin up, at 5,000' 2 to 2and a half feet of new snow with all the rocks covered nicely.  Snow was a soft two inches over consolidating layers down to earth.
Hopefully it will last through the rains and make for a nice base.  Sunny on the eastside just like autumn and full on winter up high in the mountains.  The skiing was fun.
Ever'body gettin' it this October!

You drove to the pass from the east, right?  Where is the snow level in the Tieton?  I'm looking for dry rock in the next week.

Driving in from the east the snow level on Sunday was a little above 4200' and shallow at that stage with maybe 3" or near there.  I would imagine the rain will affect the lower elevation in a strong way.

Phil! It would be great to connect with you this winter...I'll start working on getting down there.

Hey Don good to hear from you and it sounds like you have healed up from that basement fall last year.
I can still remember us riding on those ski doos at midnight up to the cabin drop off in BC and waiting for the snow cat to come up with everyone else and the ski guide Alicia telling us that great story about the great dog who saved the little boys life when he was lost in the forest over night while we passed the time in the freezing winter starlight.
I am officially retired this year so I will have lots of time to actually ski bum again and if you don't make it down here I would be stoked to ski with you again up in your neck of the woods.

Reply to this TR

oct-20-2019-white-pass-touring
filbo
2019-10-21 07:29:46