Road to Paradise: Here we go again

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Oct 2019 12:10 #233058 by pipedream
Road to Paradise: Here we go again was created by pipedream

Business as usual at the southern volcano. I would presume the full-time winter crew isn't yet working as they've basically shut down all the roads in the park except access to Longmire. It was almost better when the government was shut-down and you knew you couldn't get there...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2019 12:53 #233059 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: Road to Paradise: Here we go again
I does look like a bit of snow predicted up there for the next few days.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
18 Oct 2019 16:27 #233060 by Gary Vogt
Replied by Gary Vogt on topic Re: Road to Paradise: Here we go again
"Business as usual at the southern volcano. I would presume the full-time winter crew isn't yet working as they've basically shut down all the roads in the park except access to Longmire. It was almost better when the government was shut-down and you knew you couldn't get there..."

The Mowich & Sunrise closures are pretty typical with the seasonal staff gone; Stevens Canyon has to be closed when the Paradise road is closed.  Cayuse & Chinook Passes are maintained by WA DOT and remain open for now:
www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/passinforma...chinookpasssr410link

I believe the hard-working NPS road crew is mostly permanent employees and near full strength; it's the Ranger Division that makes the Paradise road-opening & communication decisions.  LEO ranks may be thinned by hunting season, also by leave & training not feasible when supervising summer seasonals:
Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

Background for NW newbies or skiers unfamiliar with Paradise winter access:
www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=26113.0

Expect another long government shutdown if Congress can't get their feces consolidated by Thanksgiving.

More
19 Oct 2019 09:23 #233061 by rippy
Replied by rippy on topic Re: Road to Paradise: Here we go again
On the MRNP website is a link to the road opening decision matrix. It's detailed enough to see how the decision on road travel is arrived at. Does have some wiggle room for things like adequate staffing available and "other" considerations. Good to understand it and I kinda agree that early snowfalls can catch them at less than full momentum.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Oct 2019 14:19 #233062 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Road to Paradise: Here we go again
IME: Whenever there any sort of "storm warning" getting to Paradise is going to be unlikely, at least before noon.