Home > Trip Reports > September 1, 2019, Mt. Rainier Flett Russell

September 1, 2019, Mt. Rainier Flett Russell

9/1/19
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jtack on 9/3/19 9:15am
Inspired by Randy and Yoshiko's trip last month Mike and I decided to go have a look. Neither of us had been on that side of the mountain, so we decided to go for the trifecta, new place, ski Augusts (for me) and September, all in one outing. We left at noon on Friday, made a leisurely drive over, Mike got a call from a friend on the way, who was off work, and needing something to do. Brian met us at the Mowich Lake trailhead in time for a few beers before lights out. What a beautiful hike it is, once you break out into the open the views of the mountain are wonderful.

Just before we made the turnoff, we bumped into a nice pair of skiers on there way to do the same as us. We were faunching at the bit to get some skiing done so we found a place to camp and headed for the snow. We could see we were not the only ones with skiing on our mind, there were two other parties already in place. No matter its a big beautiful place. Russell was down to glacier ice in many places, with a few cracks to make navigation interesting, but we still had a wonderful run.

Then back to Flett to finish the day

Been awhile since we had a telle skier with us, such a graceful turn. Feeling no need to go back though, my knees can hardly make it as is.

We had a great place to sleep, not a great place to camp by morning Mike and I had a small Barchan Dune forming just in front of our sleeping bags, and we looked like we had been working in a coal mine all night, we poured about a boot full of sand out or the tent. Talking with one of the other parties, they had the same experience.

Day two was just as good as the first, a little firm, but not bad. So fun to get a three fur.

I tallied 200 people that we crossed paths with! Not quite as busy as Colchuck, but close. What a great trip. Really fun seeing other skiers. Way better skiing than the usual eastern WA later summer spots. A few more photos. It was so pretty there.

and then we got to cross this awesome bridge! Wood truss approaches and riveted steel arch truss over a really deep channel. Wood deck! I hope that bridge gets inspected closely and often!

Good TR and thanks for all the photos. 
Always good to see a pinhead gettin' down  8)

We saw at least three parties that were TAT'ers  where is your trip report. Facepamphlet does not count! I know your out there lurking, make a TR!

That last pic is really great!!!

The tenth pic is great ie..

Salivating. Thanks for the TR!

Ha!  Thanks for the photos - that trip at least looks worth the while rather than chasing snow patches.  Too much fun for September!  cheers.

Nice photos!  What camera are you using?  Looks high res

Reply to this TR

september-1-2019-mt-rainier-flett-russell
jtack
2019-09-03 16:15:14