Home > Forum > Has anybody skied all 12 months on East coast?

Has anybody skied all 12 months on East coast?

• Micah
  • [primate]
More
20 Aug 2019 09:42 #233015 by Micah
I received an interesting query through the TAY contact form:

I'm an East coaster and I've caught wind of a deep patch of snow in the Chic Choc mountains in Quebec that might survive until September. I started a streak in October of 2018 in Vermont, and I wanted to check and see if you might know of anybody else that has skied all 12 months of the year exclusively on the East coast?

Does anybody know of a continuous 12-month east coast streak? My east cost skiing experience is limited to one night skiing session at Gatlinburg, TN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
21 Aug 2019 10:10 #233017 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Has anybody skied all 12 months on East coast?
I'd try to get in touch with Jonathan Shefftz. If anyone has been attempting such a thing recently, he's likely to know.

• Jonathan_S.
  • [Jonathan_S.]
More
21 Aug 2019 16:54 #233018 by Jonathan_S.
Replied by Jonathan_S. on topic Re: Has anybody skied all 12 months on East coast?
Two old school tele guys (i.e., skis from "dumpstah" diving) did it back around 96 and/or 97.
Tux actually had decent skiing in August in one of those years.
But their description for one month was something like knocking some snow/ice off the back of a boulder then jumping up & down almost in place for ten turns.
(Or so the articles back then said.)
By contrast, that Chic Chocs remaining cover actually looks like it could support real skiing.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
23 Aug 2019 18:37 #233019 by peteyboy
If you use the reference for "legit" of say, Table Mtn at Baker, NNE was doable via Tuck's, etc in the Presidentials back when I started such happy foolishness in the late '90's. Climate change may have done that in - but if anywhere can keep it going, it's the Chic Chocs. Or the Long Range Mountains in Gros More National Park, on the west coast of Newfoundland. As a relocated Vermonter happily skiing around Baker for the last 20, I hate to say it, but the only reason to do that is for the novelty. It would take you less time to fly to Seattle, Redding, Bellingham, or Portland from Burlington, Manchester, Portland, Bangor (or especially Boston) and drive to a volcano to ski a much longer route to keep a streak than it would take to drive or fly/drive to either of those great remote iconic East Coast destinations. But for East Coast die-hards, like the sufferfest of skinning the 16 miles to get to the lean-to to shiver a sleepless night in before scaling the chutes of Katahdin, Les Chic-Chocs and Gros Morne are bad ass late winter/spring badges of courage.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
24 Aug 2019 09:09 - 24 Aug 2019 09:21 #233020 by markharf
Dickie Hall used to take such exquisite pleasure in being the first to ski fresh snow during the fall that I'm imagining he might have done the same during late spring or summer--or know who had.

The Chic Chocs are a definite possibility. I'm doubtful there is summer snow on Gros Morne, max ~800 meters elevation.

There are quite a few glaciers up in the Torngats, although no roads. I once flew into to Nairn, which is south of the high part of the range, and found remnant, glissade-worthy snowfields in September. There were some cowboy-style helicopter pilots working on decommissioning DEW stations, and they wandered pretty widely during off hours just trying to stay entertained.

And of course there are major glaciers further north on Baffin, Ellesmere, and other islands. It might depend on what you consider "east coast," and what you consider "skiing."