telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/05/19, 07:38 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2019 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  August 2019 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  August 1, 2019, Bagley Lakes, Two-fer
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Notify of replies | Print
Author Topic: August 1, 2019, Bagley Lakes, Two-fer  (Read 1156 times)
Atraslin

August 1, 2019, Bagley Lakes, Two-fer
« on: 08/13/19, 01:50 AM »

The plan was to hit Rogers Pass for some turns in July then do some alpine mountain biking in Revelstoke. Simple, no.

We had driven through the pass 3 weeks earlier and spotted our patches.
With hot beach weather it was hard to get motivated. Two days to spare we arrived to full on road construction. The patches to right side of the road were full on bush wacks to river crossings. Mike spotted a patch on the left.

We parked off the highway. One minute later. Massive rock trucks drove by then the ETV/ Safety had none of it and mentioned Grizzlies.
We could see the patch, so close. Baker was calling, I knew it.

Checked into the ranger station. The young lady was super friendly and helpful and gave us beta for September. We B-lined it to the border. Hot weather,tough crossing border guard training. Eight hours to spare. After years of going further, you learn to go closer. I like to hit Artist Point because of the views of Shuksan and Baker. Mike convinced me of a lower line with a steeper pitch.

The last day arrived, I pulled my binoculars out. I see a dot going up and down. Telemon. We were stoked to join him for some laps. 122’ vert. We all did 1000’ plus vert and stoked.

Drove all this way. It’s the last day of the month gotta hit the first day. Done. I don’t recommend waiting till the last day of the month to ski. Too many things could shut you down.

But, we were stoked to pull off the two-fer, daily double, last to first.

I think July might be the hardest month to pull off. Way to many distractions. Mountain Biking, Paddle Boarding, Bouldering, Beach Telemon would have been rock climbing.

The views are second to none in the world. That’s why we always come back. Plus, it’s one more day in my life I got to ski.👌 Earned Turns All Year 154. 155.

Negative Nancies dissing 100’ patch. Skiers to boot. Just a Minor Threat. The End.

Time lapse of the amazing Baker area. Craig Kelly’s home resort. One of the best snow boarders ever.

https://youtu.be/3ALpWvfjqq0
« Last Edit: 08/13/19, 01:54 AM by Atraslin » Logged
jtack

Re: August 1, 2019, Bagley Lakes, Two-fer
« Reply #1 on: 08/13/19, 07:35 AM »

Mr. T. Way to get after it!! I’m with you, NEVER sorry I went skiing.  Thanks for taking the time to post.  Have to disagree though I vote September as the cruelest month.
Mtraslin

« Reply #2 on: 08/13/19, 04:34 PM »

Thanks for sharing. And great running into Telemon.
MW88888888

« Reply #3 on: 08/16/19, 09:34 PM »

Enjoyable read, loved the style.  Touched a couple nerves...Craig Kelly' Burton Air was the board that changed the world and Telemon's ghost lives.

I also vote September as the cruelest month.  At least in July and August you can find soft snow - easily.  September at altitude, well...timing around weather windows is everything for an enjoyable ski.  And hard to come by.   
telemack

« Reply #4 on: 08/21/19, 04:35 PM »

Hi Andy and Mike, that was me on the 31st!  Great to have some Patch Partners Cool
Telemon (Bob Wiebe) was a Canadian TAYer who tragically perished on Mt. Hood....

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
peteyboy

« Reply #5 on: 08/22/19, 12:59 AM »

Nostalgia about the end
The "patchers" reminds me fondly about how my own streak was brought to a chosen end.
My TAY partner for that time of life and I decided we would call it a streak the next summer when at sunset on September 30, two weeks after I had arthroscopic meniscectomy and I think less than 3 weeks after he suffered a recurrent high ankle sprain, we found ourselves trying to carefully ski the frozen semi truck hubcap sun cups off the top of Table without getting hurt.  We decided right then that we would stop skiing when conditions called for it - next summer at 130 months.  Loved every moment of the streak and never regretted stopping when we did.  I raise my glass to all who happily soldier on!
Mtraslin

« Reply #6 on: 08/26/19, 10:29 AM »

My bad Telemack.... That is what I meant. And respects to fallen brother. Bob Wiebe. I have friend from my youth...who had a good nickname....that it got to the point where I forgot his real name.....Thanks for the laps.
Mtraslin

« Reply #7 on: 08/26/19, 10:33 AM »

Awesome Peteyboy.... I got a bad knee injury playing ice hockey during the ski journey.....Managed to keep skiing.... But things got pretty sketchy on Mt Sahale on one of my trips....had to keep the knee in a certain position the whole day...to keep it in place....Thats why we get the big bucks?
Mtraslin

« Reply #8 on: 08/26/19, 10:35 AM »

MW8888888 thanks for the correction. Sorry about that.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Notify of replies | Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.