Home > Trip Reports > July 31, 2019, Bagley Lakes

July 31, 2019, Bagley Lakes

7/31/19
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by telemack on 8/1/19 2:55am
Q: How did the pirate get his summer turns in?
A: He skied a patch!

Due to a knee injury and various other pursuits, I found myself at the end of the month without July turns. After some calls, including contact with my near-neighbor Greg Lange, I determined that Bagley would have the best Joy-O-Meter score. I drove up Tuesday night and camped across from Silver Fir Campground. (In the morning I found I had shared the spot with over 100 bees-nest boxes! 8) )
After breakfast at the Visitor Center it was off to the Bagley Patch below Artist Point. I had completed 5 micro-laps when I noticed two pairs of skis below me, which turned out to be those of brothers Mike and Andy Traslin of BC. It was a treat to meet them so close to the car, since my previous encounter with them had been up high on Glacier Peak in 2010...
Skiing was short but very good. Andy's altimeter recorded 120' vert. Being Canadians, they speak metric, but they revert to the English system for their monthly TAY goal of 1000 v.f. I was psyched to boot a few extra runs with our northern neighbors, and we all praised TAY for creating this unique community. Snow notes: I skied Bagley last in late September 2017; quite a contrast. Then there was over 300 v.f. with huge hard suncups. Yesterday was much smaller but had size A/B cups. In other words, there is significantly less snow there now than two months later in a typical year. the Brothers Traslin finished their laps as I trudged back to the truck with the lightest BC pack I've ever carried.
If I had camped one more night I could have ticked August turns as well, but the home fires called me back. Good times, nice clouds, casual skiing, 142 months of TAY for me. The Traslins have 154 or something, so with their modest ages they could be recordholders in a few decades. 8)

The following limerick found its way into the open after my June tour at Chinook, but I am presenting here now despite different location and conditions:

Who says summer skiing is worthless?
I got turns and my skis remained dirtless.
Naches Peak, Chinook Pass
Was no pain in the ass;
Life is always great when skiing shirtless!
Way to get those July turns, Mack! Hopefully there'll be enough leftover postage for September and October turns. And great fortune running into the Traslin's, legends who they are...Cheers!!

author=GregLange link=topic=42084.msg165497#msg165497 date=1564702005]
...Hopefully there'll be enough leftover postage for September and October turns...

Gosh I don't know. Sounds like July 31 postage stamp is about as big as October 1 stamp last year. It was pretty small that day. Could the postage stamp disappear? I hope not!

Awesome to ski with you. It was a great boost..... And super cool to initially spot you in the distance skiing. We decide to camp that evening and come back for August ski turns. First time doing the back to back. All of us were cutting it close. 

If I understand the location correctly, this patch is the result of slides, not snowfall accumulation. That means its longevity depends on avalanche activity during the previous winter, which doesn't necessarily correlate directly to measured snowfall amounts.

I am as full of doom and gloom as anyone, but I'm not sure that this particular data point is representative.

Mark

Great skiing with you for some laps. We got denied turns up a Rogers Pass. Drove all the way to Baker. We usually ski along Ptarmigan ridge for August.This zone skied well, nice corn. We pulled the double. Last day to the first day. Not recommended. Is there a term used for skiing the last day of the month to the first day of the month?

author=Atraslin link=topic=42084.msg165505#msg165505 date=1564774534]
Is there a term used for skiing the last day of the month to the first day of the month?

I call it a two-fer

author=markharf link=topic=42084.msg165501#msg165501 date=1564763305]
If I understand the location correctly, this patch is the result of slides, not snowfall accumulation. That means its longevity depends on avalanche activity during the previous winter, which doesn't necessarily correlate directly to measured snowfall amounts.

I am as full of doom and gloom as anyone, but I'm not sure that this particular data point is representative.

Mark

That makes sense. I'm happy to be corrected on this!

That works the two-fer. 🤘🤘 Daily double. Last to first.

Reply to this TR

july-31-2019-bagley-lakes
telemack
2019-08-01 09:55:11