Home > Trip Reports > July 12, 2019, Paradise

July 12, 2019, Paradise

7/12/19
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 7/13/19 9:36am
Paradise Glacier route is still skinnable from just north of Sluskins Chair. Crisscrossed raised tracks have created moguls and the skiing is gritty slow. The turns were fun and clouds and breeze kept the weather cool for Alfred's ski from Camp Muir. We celebrated Andy's birthday and then found Cooper Creek restaurant too busy so we stopped at Elbe bar for burgers and got to see and hear the Rowes rockabilly performance. Tahoma put on a sunset display for my Austrian guests.
Was on paradise glacier on 19th. Was solo except for the wolf pack I encountered. Very unnerving. Took a break at toe of glacier and then about 20 minutes into hike up open glacier, I saw 6 wolves come over from Cowlitz side. They checked out my break spot and continued down into Edith Valley. Crazy cool experience, but a little nervous of a close encounter.

Wow. What an experience. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, indeed! Thanks for the report. This past winter I saw what appeared to be a wolf near Ashford.

I was a bit confused by "...they continued down into Edith Valley", tho, since Cowlitz Saddle & Paradise Glacier drain into Stevens Creek, while Edith Creek is a small tributary into Paradise River from the west.

Edit for clsrity

Incredible story. Thanks for sharing!

How was the snow? Thinking about a trip up in the next few days.

Maybe pack wolf spray...do they make that yet?  Or maybe pack some heat?

author=rlsg link=topic=42076.msg165479#msg165479 date=1563839313]
Maybe pack wolf spray...do they make that yet?  Or maybe pack some heat?

If it makes you feel better I guess?

We were there on the 12th and briefly met Silas and a partner heading up. We counted near 40 goats crossing meadows and up in the cliff areas. Lots to eat if the wolves are wiley enough but I'd give the goats the advantage. Marmots or youngsters straying might want to be wary though.  If they're in that area, there are pickings to be had. Think by now there are stream crossings to contend with and we saw numerous lateral crevasses starting to yawn...it's getting sparse.

@glowbug: Consider filing a wolf sighting report at WDFW Wolf Reporting Portal. I see there were 6 wolves reported near there on the 18th.

no photos = fake news  ;)

Reply to this TR

july-12-2019-paradise
silaswild
2019-07-13 16:36:30