Home > Trip Reports > March 5, 2006, Bullion Basin Pooch Tour

March 5, 2006, Bullion Basin Pooch Tour

3/5/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JibberD on 3/5/06 6:06pm
Following up on Kams canine cali tour I was motivated to post a poochie pic and report.

The weather was nasty in Enumclaw with strong winds and some rain...lazy thoughts of a sofa based Sunday emerged, but we forged ahead deeper into the hills where the weather settled in the protection of the valley.

Toured up Bullion Basin and found the winds howling again on the Cement Basin side which was wind packed, scoured and to be avoided this day.  We dropped our first line through the trees back to B.Basin where we inspected the ruins of an igloo.

Turned the tour slightly to the south and made our way to the hanging bowl which we entered just in time to watch three telemarkers frolicking their ways down the pitch in shin deep NW powder.  Motivation.  

On top we found 20" of homogenous wind deposited on the underlying rain crust.  Following a ski cut, the compression test yielded some crumbling of the upper 6" at strike 13.  No further dergradation through strike 30.  The remaining 14" column sheared at the somewhat faceted underlying rain crust only afer a good strong two handed yank from the shoulders. Having seen three skiers work this north facing 38 degree slope, doing our ski cut and a pit we decided to that we might give it a shot.  I dropped in with some trepidation and worked a line next to an island of firs.  It was sweet and stable...worth another lap...  Big smiles and sweet turns were plentiful.

After spending a week in NYC, then being out of commission with a cold for two weeks it was great to get back to what I love!

More pics here:
http://groups.msn.com/RandoSkiing/crystal35o5.msnw
woof, woof...

Nice to see you back on the slopes Jibber. I was getting worried about you. ;D
With the number of people taking dogs up to Bullion Basin ( me included) some of the runs need to be given doggy names.
See you soon.
Chris

it was surprisingly good on that north facing slope yesterday. my partner and I dumped our packs in the meadow and made 7 laps down various slots through the trees before our legs said enough.  

Sorry I missed the dogerrific outing, Jibber; looks like a good time was had by all!

Reply to this TR

march-5-2006-bullion-basin-pooch-tour
JibberD
2006-03-06 02:06:57