Home > Trip Reports > March 5, 2006, MRNP

March 5, 2006, MRNP

3/5/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 3/5/06 6:01pm

Maddog sampling the goods.

After a long day Saturday and quarter sized blisters on both ankles I was in no mood for any more torture by any means.  Nevertheless I drove to Tall Timbers and guess who was already there.  Yup Ronj, Maddog, Darryl, Maureen, and Sag.  After a brief stop for munchies at the Shell, I was on my way to embark on another adventure with the crew.

The gate at Longmire opened at 9am and by 9:30 or so, we were all skinning down Paradise Valley road.  It's always nice to skin right from your car.  The clouds started off hovering between the 6k and 7k level but eventually lifted.  Then it dropped when it started snowing and lifted again when it stopped.  Temps were pretty chilly to start off with but by days end it warmed a few degrees or so.  Overall snow conditions were stable.  Though no pits were dug, a steady traverse across the Mazama ridge face revealed some differing conditions.  Anywhere from couple inches up to a foot ontop of crust, just crust, or no crust at all, just goodness.  Guess where we played?  On the way out we followed the PV road back to Narada Falls where I was happy to demonstrate my crosscountry boarding technique. ;D Anyways I'm sure other folks that were there would like to add so I pass the talking stick to...

Some pics:
http://community.webshots.com/album/548299385CXXJZU
I'll take the talking stick to whack the group of slowshoers who marched in line formation down the west slope of Mazama ridge.  Thanks for gromming the slope.

It was a great day indeed.  We had our own challenges as we battled windy, cold conditions and crust on top of the ridge.  Once we settled back into the tree line we hit the jackpot and found the "goods"  8).  Darren, we missed you  ;).
More photos HERE ;D.

I was happy to demonstrate my crosscountry boarding technique. ;D

you know, there's been some folks who've suggested a race specifically for boarders, all cross country traversing, with plenty of flats and icy sections--no poles or unbuckling allowed.  what do you think, eric?  you in?  doesn't sound that fun to me, but could this be the "technique" you were refering to?  ;)

glad you guys had a good time--it's been a while since i've been up there!  sounds like we've got plenty of winter left though. woohoo! 8)

Let's not and say we did Allyson. ;D  The technique I was refering to was one footy, pushing with poles.  Damn good workout though!

Reply to this TR

march-5-2006-mrnp
snoslut
2006-03-06 02:01:56