Home > Trip Reports > March 04, 2006, Mt. Baden-Powell, CA

March 04, 2006, Mt. Baden-Powell, CA

3/4/06
US elsewhere
Posted by kam on 3/5/06 4:53pm
i flew to San Diego, CA, on Tuesday to attend a conference. one of my students was presenting our work. the conference lasted the entire week and afterwards i spent the weekend with my family in Riverside, before flying back to VA. i travel with the bare minimum: laptop and ski gear. the laptop served its purpose. now time for the skis.

my two brothers, Dee and Pat, and cousin Kam took the dogs, George and Abby, out for some fresh air. we drove up to the San Gabriels, about 1 hour from Riverside. we didn't really have a plan, but there was hope for something to do if we drove past Wrightwood ski area (Mt. High). it was extremely busy near the ski area, but 15-minutes beyond the crowds disappeared and we found ourselves at the parking area of Mt. Baden-Powell. we were the only skiers, of course. at the parking area we donned skis and skinned up a gentle snow-covered road on the north side of the mountain. there was a light dusting of snow above 7000 ft. and the air temp was cool. the air also felt really dry, too. the slopes were moderately steep on the north side, but we found some good skiing. coverage was better than expected and the snow that was sheltered was soft and powdery. not bad for so. Cal.

Cool.
Looks like the whole fam damily ski's, eh?
I though the Hummel's and the Skoog's were the only ones like that  :)
Them there San Gabriels look a bit bony there tho, Kamster.  But then, again, I guess you're used to that, eh?  ;)

So why don't you hop a day earlier flight and attend you and Stefan's birthday ski party at Mazama bowl next Sunday?
Gonna be another foot or so of new freshies by then  8)

What's really funny is that I'm reading this TR from a computer in the UCSD library.

Glad to confirm that there is skiing in SoCal, as I might be stuck down here for a long while starting next year.

Nice pics as usual, Kam!  :)

Yeah, "woof, woof" to you Kam.  

I've only toured with dogs twice now.  They sure add a nice element to the trip what with their pooping, barking, stepping on skis while skinning detaching tail clips and interupting the rythm, food mooching, general doggy odors...what could be more fun?

Seriously, all that said, they were a nice addition to the trip and I enjoyed having them along.  Amazing, the amount of territory they can travel!

i travel with the bare minimum: laptop and ski gear.

Maybe your next project could be to build the laptop into the skis . . . would really simplify your packing!

Yeah, Paul's a sellout & on a fast track thinking, for some odd reason, he should have his PhD before he's 21  ???  Yeah Paul, there's just that much to look forward to in life!  8)

professor toe--very nice.  cute dogs too.   :)

Ron: the Leangs are nowhere as talented as the Hummels and the Skoogs.  in fact, we like hotdogs and sugary snacks way toooo much to even be considered 'backcountry' skiers.  i don't think the word 'backcountry' is even in the family's vocabulary.  'rocks, dirt, and patch', for sure, as illustrated in the photos...  ;D

BTW, i have a surprise for you next week, and it's not showing up at Stefan's party.  even better: me dressed up in skimpy glacier travel gear... grrrrrr.... ;)

Paul: nice to hear you're in UCSD. that's a great school and the area is beautiful.  skiing is not far from there.  the San Gabriel and Bernardino mountains are close.  we'll get together after next year when i come visit.

GregL: good idear. do you think i should use a QWERTY keyboard, or should i try something more fancy?

Cute dog picture!

Cool Trip. Last year that was my "Home" area.

Looks like you guys were able to drive into Vincent gap - has the road finally opened all the way to the lot at the base now? Did you guys do the main gully run back to the cars or something else?

Have fun in So-cal! Next on your list should be snow creek!

quite frankly if your not going to show up to OUR party all dressied up, then I don't want to know about your indiscretions( sob sob ) ???

Kam,
  Just got an email from a friend, it's been dumping in So Cal.  Looks like you have lots of options at the moment.

Here are some shots from the Cucamonga suburbs:
http://brianelliott.us/winterstorm/winterstorm.html

-Gus

Reply to this TR

march-04-2006-mt-baden-powell-ca
kam
2006-03-06 00:53:49