Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2019, Baker via Squak

June 12, 2019, Baker via Squak

6/12/19
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by JimD on 6/13/19 6:10am
My partner John and I had the Squak to ourselves. Scott Paul was mostly snow free, with a few big patches just before the ridge. We saw some climbers descending the Easton, and a few parties on top heading down other routes. A nice breeze kept us from burning out on the climb, but it ended on the summit. This made for a pleasant rest, but sticky snow in places on the descent. The crevasse at 8+k was a bit worrisome - on the way up I thought I was across the main span, but then saw a row of little holes melted out just in front of me - I made a couple of really quick steps to get up onto firm snow.

nice! any chance you saw how long an end-run will be if/when that crevasse completely opens up?
curious what time you started from the TH and topped out...might head up there soon.  thanks!

Pete, we left around 5, but are a couple of old unfit geezers, so our 8 hour climbing time should be taken with a grain of salt. Sorry, I didn't take a picture or look much at the end run situation. I remember that it opens wide on both ends quite a ways out, so it will be a ways once it isn't safe.

Nice work and pic.  Any chance you took any pics of the Twins, the South Twin especially? 

Sorry, no Twin pics.

Reply to this TR

june-12-2019-baker-via-squak
JimD
2019-06-13 13:10:54