Home > Trip Reports > June 8-9, 2019, More Daniel

June 8-9, 2019, More Daniel

6/8/19
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 6/10/19 3:00am
Last week Jamie and I had looked into the Circle Lake basin from the east shoulder of Daniel and thought we saw a reasonable ski to the lake from around point 7020 on the east shoulder. Jamie couldn't go, so I went solo with my dog, Clara, planning to camp at Peggy's pond Saturday, and spend Sunday in the Circle Lake basin. I took food for three days and had planned to spend Monday skiing on Daniel, but something more important came up and I walked out on Sunday. Did you know there is Verizon service at Cathedral Pass just above the PCT/Peggy trail junction? 3 bars, LTE! I was able to have a phone conversation with my wife from there. Thanks Gary for that tip. Unlike last week, when my truck was the only vehicle at the trailhead when I started up; this week, the car lot and the trailer lot were both full by noon on Saturday. WOW! I suppose I'm partially to blame for that, since a handful of people I met on the trail mentioned that they chose this trip because they had seen a recent trip report. I won't accept total responsibility though, since I think more people are now looking at the FB TAY page, where I don't post, than this site, where I do. It would be interesting to interview skiers and see how they decide on what trips to do when. I crossed paths with 60 people and saw an additional 8 across the valley. 35 of those were skiers.

I left my overnight stuff hanging in a tree and headed up for an afternoon run on the East Peak. Out in the basin below the Hyas Gl, I saw two skiers who had just skied that awesome line right off the tippy top. I turned to go visit and discovered it was my friend, Dan, and his ski partner, Gary! They had carried overnight packs to the top, planning to ski toward the Foss River, but a cloud was stacked up against the cascade crest and they decided to head east for the night. We chatted and were all surprised that we had a similar plan to visit Circle Lake on the morrow. It was only 3pm, too early to lay in camp, so they agreed to keep me company and make another run. Gary had seen a gully off the east ridge that he thought might be skiable, so we skinned up to the bottom of that gulley to have a look. It had a pretty tight choke. Fun to ski from there.

This pic from last week - the highpoint above the green line is point 7020.

Dan and Gary let me tag along with them for the rest of the trip and it was really great to have their company. We camped on dry ground on a little ridge north of Peggy's Pond. We made friends and had a very nice evening visit with a fun group from Seattle that ski together often and call themselves 'team terrible'. Incidentally, two of that group told me that they don't post here because they have not been approved as TAY members. This forum is such a treasure. I hope that neglect of their membership is an anomaly.

On Sunday, Dan and Gary and I skied up to the east ridge from the Hyas (had to boot the final 30 feet) and found a way south into the Circle Lake basin. It was more consequential terrain that I expected on morning frozen surface. I would not bring my daughter here. The slope at the top is gentle, but rolls off steeply around the lake. I think the name "circle" is not for the shape of the lake, but for the impressive cirque protecting the north and west sides of the lake.

This tiny bridge is 3" thick, but frozen.

Circle Lake looking north at the east shoulder of Daniel

We skied up to the high point above the lake, called the Citadel, and had fantastic skiing back to the lake.

The Citadel

Deep Lake beyond

Three peaks of Daniel from the south

Skiing from the high point

We were able to skin back to the ridge. I wouldn't have done it without ski crampons and two whippets (which I had). The ski from here back to the Hyas is quite steep and it was a thrill to tip forward off the lip onto the slope.

Right off the east rim

Looking back at tracks

Something interesting we saw: Last week I noticed a crease in a slab of snow that was creeping downhill across a rock slab. This week, that snow had released and sent SUV size chunks pretty far onto the low slope Hyas Glacier.

Last week:

This week:

It was a really wonderful chance meet up and ski around Circle Lake and Citadel with you and the pooch.  Funny how things happen. We hung out at the top for quite a bit waiting and hoping for the weather to clear before heading down the north side.  It didn't clear so we skied down back towards Peggy's and our paths converged.  A few minutes either way and we may not have seen each other.  Or if we'd brought a tent instead of bivy gear, maybe we would have gone down into the wetness.  Anyways, nice to share a new basin and some turns.  I went back and watched the Hummel video and the way down to Venus looks reasonable; as long as binders don't get unlatched.  His fall is a bit of a scary tumble. Dan

That looks like another great weekend on Mt. Daniel - thanks for the report and beautiful picture Mike!  Can't stop the "progress" but Facebook reports just can't compete with old fashioned TAY - I only wish posting pictures was easier.

My wife and I saw you walking out on Sunday as we were on our way up.
Empty on Monday - skied off the top down the most direct couloir to the basin.
No freeze unfortunately, but still skied pretty darned well.
My first time up there - really enjoyed it

Awesome report and pics!  Man, I need to make it up there.  Thanks for posting!

It was a really wonderful chance meet up and ski around Circle Lake and Citadel with you and the pooch.

Meeting you in the mountains made the trip 10x better for me! Thanks for letting me join up with you and Gary!

That looks like another great weekend on Mt. Daniel - thanks for the report and beautiful picture Mike! Can't stop the "progress" but Facebook reports just can't compete with old fashioned TAY - I only wish posting pictures was easier.

Pavel it was just as good as last week and will probably be similar next. I use Imgur for photos. Takes the pain out. Your evening visit inspired us to do similar, so you helped make my trip better!

My wife and I saw you walking out on Sunday..

Fun to run into you on the trail. Agreed. Great place.

Awesome report and pics! Man, I need to make it up there. Thanks for posting!

Do it soon! Skiing from the East Peak to Peggy's pond is so fantastic, and it won't be available for too much longer. You should go do it!

Reply to this TR

june-8-9-2019-more-daniel
mikerolfs
2019-06-10 10:00:41