Home > Trip Reports > June 2, 2019, Mt. Rainier, Inter Glacier

June 2, 2019, Mt. Rainier, Inter Glacier

6/2/19
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by PhilH on 6/5/19 2:12pm
There's no snow at the White River Campground. Intermittent snow on the trail starts at about 1.5 miles and continuous snow begins around 2 miles. Just before Glacier Basin, at 3 miles in, the winter route drops down to the river bottom and crosses a small creek first, then the White River. I could see where someone had post-holed through the first snow bridge and didn't want to do the same so I transitioned to skis. The bridges were hanging by a thread and I doubt they will last another week. After that presumably you'll need to follow the summer trail on into Glacier Basin?

A few very small cracks are showing on the glacier, on climbers right, under the rock islands about 600' below the Prow...but they haven't spread.

I ate lunch and watched the climbers return from the summit. It's a busy mountain. There was a surprising number of ski tracks on the Emmons-Winthrop route. The snow was pretty cooked by then but once you got up on plane it was surfable. (Those tele skiers on skinny skis wouldn't agree with me but that's another topic). 

This was my first time on the Inter Glacier and except for the sunburned nostrils I'll give it an A+. What a great place we live in. 

Pic #1 Snow Bridge that was
Pic #2 Glacier Basin
Pic #3 Inter Glacier
Pic #4 Big R
Pic #5 Looking toward Mt. Ruth

Reply to this TR

june-2-2019-mt-rainier-inter-glacier
PhilH
2019-06-05 21:12:01