Home > Trip Reports > June 1-2, 2019, Baker via Squak

June 1-2, 2019, Baker via Squak

6/1/19
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by discostew on 6/4/19 2:37pm
Video of the down: https://vimeo.com/340356017

Did a relaxed 2-day trip to the summit via the Squak over the weekend. Weather was perfect. Left Vancouver around noon, stopped in Sumas for a burger, and got to the Scott Paul trailhead around 4pm. Hiked the trail over lots of snow patches to about 1440m (sorry yanks I don't use silly units of measurement) before putting skins on. The Baker Ultra Masochist race was on so our route was conveniently wanded pretty much right to our intended campsite. Got to our sweet campsite at 1970m at about 8 pm and enjoyed the sunset in pretty mild temps. I wasn't sure an overnight freeze would happen it felt so warm, but ski crampons were indeed required in the morning.

Woke up at a leisurely 730 and left camp at 830. Instead of a mellow walk down our rocky ridge to get to snow that would have lost us 10m of elevation, we instead opted for a tricky downclimb onto a steep icy sidehill that got the heart going. A few groups we passed seemed to almost take offense at how late we started. We only needed the ski crampons for the first half hour though, so there. Got to the second aid station for the Ultra race (anyone even coming close to completing that race is a complete badass and maniac in my book) where we were graciously offered freshly brewed Folgers, which we gratefully accepted. Big hole at 2400m is easily avoided. The ultra course went through a doorway-width bridge over another big hole at 2700m, which I don't think will last much longer. Managed to skin up the Roman Wall with ski crampons (first for me) and tagged the summit around 1230. Took some selfies, hung out, ate some food and dropped in around 130. Roman wall was perfect corn. First 1000m were super fun, then snow got grabby around 2200m. Lower than that, the softened suncups actually reduced the grabbiness (less surface contact I guess). Back at the car by 330. Volcano season is here! I love the Squak!

Shortly after putting skins on

Glacier Peak

The Sisters I think?

One of the nicer mountain campsites I've ever slept at

Last bit of the Roman Wall

Colfax

Mandatory summit shot
Nice pics. I think the (2nd one) labeled as Rainier is actually glacier peak...fun route!

Nice TR and photos. It has been awhile since I did that route. Nice to see the photos. ;)

author=dbrannon link=topic=42000.msg165231#msg165231 date=1559740606]
Nice pics. I think the (2nd one) labeled as Rainier is actually glacier peak...fun route!

you're right. Fixed!

Nice photographs!

Reply to this TR

june-1-2-2019-baker-via-squak
discostew
2019-06-04 21:37:10