Home > Trip Reports > December 19, 2002, Mazama Ridge, Mt. Rainier

December 19, 2002, Mazama Ridge, Mt. Rainier

12/19/02
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Andrew Carey on 12/19/02 4:40am
;D ;D ;D ;D Fantastic. 18 inches of powder light over consolidate snow; waist deep in places. Of course we had to break trail starting at the paradise parking lot with deep drifts with wind crust on Paradise Valley Road, deep snow with no crust off the road. A little windy, cloudy, & beautiful. abc
Great info, Andy.  Thanks!!!

So much for my ability to correctly predict conditions. I had been assuming that with the strong east winds of today (White Pass had gusts near 100mph) the Paradise area would be getting hit hard and have lots of scouring. I guess that only occurs when I'm about to go up there! Andy, I'm glad you got such great conditions, and thanks for the timely report.

It sounds like there is now enough snowpack that you can ski just about anywhere you like around there?

Yep, I 'spect all the nook and crannie stashes up there are now good to go  8)

Way to go Andy, sounds like you got a great ski day!!

There's been lots of wind and higher freezing levels so I don't know that all aspects/ridgetops and low elevation (Reflection Lakes) would be skiable.  There were 50 inches at paradise, yet there are plenty of bushes sticking up thru the snow, big creeks are still open, and lots of gullies haven't filled in yet.  Another 4 feet of snow would make a huge difference  ;) abc

Reply to this TR

december-19-2002-mazama-ridge-mt-rainier
Andrew Carey
2002-12-19 12:40:03