Home > Trip Reports > June 1, 2019, Fryingpan Glacier (MRNP)

June 1, 2019, Fryingpan Glacier (MRNP)

6/1/19
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jstluise on 6/3/19 1:27am
We planned to get out on the Fryingpan above Meany Crest, with maybe making an attempt at Little Tahoma depending on our speed and how we felt. Started off at the Summerland TH at 0645. The trail had small patches of snow here and there but mostly snow free for the first 2 miles or so, and then longer patches of snow up to the foot bridge below Summerland, about 3.3 miles in. We started skinning from here.

There were a couple options for getting onto the Fryinpan. There was a bootpack on I guess the 'standard route' that stays climbers left and skirts below Meany Crest, but also going more climbers right and gaining the ridge leading up to the Fryingpan. First time I've been in the area this early so it was interesting to see it with this much snow. The route up the right looked more gradual and skin'able so we went this way. We also had a group of 3 in front of us cutting a skin track on the same route which helped with our decision. We were able to keep the skis on all way onto the Fryingpan, though we did consider booting the last steeper bit where climbers had been. The softer snow and a couple long switchbacks made it easy with skis.

We took off towards Little Tahoma, aiming for Whitman Crest. The crevasses on the upper glacier were obvious and easy to avoid. We brought along a light glacier rack but we felt comfortable on the glacier without roping up. We arrived at Whitman Crest at around 1300. My partner was moving a bit slow so we decided to take a break and call it good there. It was too late anyways with the hot weather to attempt Little T; the upper Whitman looked super soft and there were obvious remains of loose-wet avalanches we could see from our vantage point.

I've hiked the Fryingpan several times when climbing Little T in the past, so skiing down it for the first time was great! Snow was mushy but still fun. We mostly followed our route down to the Summerland area and the more northerly aspects of the lower Fryingpan skied really nicely. Skied down to the foot bridge and started the hike out. Ran into two bears on the trail about a mile from the TH and we were back at the car at around 1545. 13.2 miles, ~5200', 9 hrs.

Here are our tracks: https://caltopo.com/m/G8VD

Meany Crest:

Fryingpan Glacier towards Little Tahoma:

Whiteman Glacier and the route up to Little T:

One of my favorites.  Glad you had a good day.  Will get up there soon.  Cheers

Nice, my wife and I spent the weekend skiing the Meany/Whiteman zone. Earlier in the day and steeper the line the better😉

Reply to this TR

june-1-2019-fryingpan-glacier-mrnp
jstluise
2019-06-03 08:27:21