Home > Trip Reports > March 4, 2006, Nisqually Chutes to the bridge

March 4, 2006, Nisqually Chutes to the bridge

3/4/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Eli3 on 3/5/06 12:56am
Hoping the mostly cloudy forecast was wrong, Lara, Eric and I headed to paradise to ski the nisqually chutes to the bridge. We arrived to partly cloudy skies and lots of snow! The weather turned out great, although camp muir was freezing. The snowfield was patches of powder mixed with wind packed powder. It was our first time down the nisqually chute, but the entrance was not hard to find. We found creamy snow for the whole line, with great views on the way down. The trip down the glacier to the bridge was pretty straighfoward, however one stream crossing was required.

This was one of the best tours ever!!! Our weather was incredible and we had the whole snowfield and chutes to ourselves.  The pics are beautiful (really have to look at them enlarged), but don't do justice to the experience.  Amazing, wonderful day....Thanks for taking all the pics, Eli.  Hopefully we can get Eric on the cover of Ttips (or TAY) :)

~Lara

Eli--I thought I recognized you in the parking lot.  We were the two that were coming down the chute while you were re-grouping on the moraine.  It was a little over my head for smooth skiing, but if you recall how things were  a couple years ago, I feel pretty good about it.  We weren't prepared to ski to the bridge, but that is definitely on the list.

Great photos.

Bill DeYoung

Hey bill, sorry I missed you - the glacier was fun, although the stream crossing up and down five foot snowbanks was 'interesting'.  Glad you guys had a good trip down!  (i've since cheated and switched to AT)

Hey Eli,

Got video,  yet???

~L

Reply to this TR

march-4-2006-nisqually-chutes-to-the-bridge
Eli3
2006-03-05 08:56:26