Home > Trip Reports > May 27, 2019, Vesper Peak

May 27, 2019, Vesper Peak

5/27/19
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Chamois on 5/28/19 3:40am
We decided to jump on the weather window to check out Vesper.  Been going there for 30 years now and this was the least amount of snow I've seen at this time of year. 

Snow did not start until about halfway up the lower basin - usually it extends through the boulder field, so a bit more walking than usual.  The steep gully to Headlee Pass was snow filled, but with more junk than usual - organic debris and some sluffed rocks and such, but it was soft.  And no cornice at the top.

On the back side of the pass where you normally could be on continuous snow there was some scree/trail walking before getting to just below the lake.  The peak was good to go though and provided some fun turns in a very scenic area.  It clouded up a bit and there was a minor veil at the summit but not for long.  Mostly sunshine.

We ran into Jeff and his girlfriend as the came ripping down back to their campsite and then were joined on the summit by a group of 3.  Pretty quiet otherwise. 

Scott chose to ski the gully, my jump turns are not there so I walked most of it, but is was soft and doable.  Below that is was mostly dodging some rocks and some tree limbs.  The water crossings are always fun at the end of a long day.
Nice to meet you guys! Fun day in dem hills.👍

Reply to this TR

may-27-2019-vesper-peak
Chamois
2019-05-28 10:40:58