Home > Trip Reports > March 4, 2006, Big Four Ski Descent

March 4, 2006, Big Four Ski Descent

3/4/06
Posted by Jason_H. on 3/5/06 12:24am
Big Four Mountain

Jason, Phil and Josh

Yesterday I went and skied Big Four. My brother and I left Tacoma at 4 in the morning (because it is such an appropriate number...four) to meet Phil in Seattle. From there to the parking lot we talked about the climb. I had convinced Phil to go the night before by telling him that "I just want to go look at the mountain." He wasn't a fool though. Late the previous night he agreed to partake in my foolishness. Like Sky says, "Don't be stupid but sometimes you have to be in order to get anything done." Sky has a great way of putting things, but he's no fool either. Both his and my philosophy has always been to go and see what there is. Don't guess. Don't think. But go and see. My guess would be that avi danger was high and that any snow on top would be buffeted off. What I saw wasn't quite different. What it was was right within my comfort zone, which is all that matters. I was comfortable with my decisions.

The approach is a joke. We skated along two miles of road and maybe a mile of trail before putting skins on. Along the way it snowed; some of the flakes were truly massive! My hopes of seeing the mountain were obscured by the same clouds from which that snow fell, but I didn't need to see it just yet. Like Phil said while looking at Big Four that morning (the Big Four we couldn't see a lick of), "It looks really filled in, no cliff bands at all."

To which I added, "Yeah, its a total joke. Powder day."

Another mile brought us to the Ice Caves. This isn't a place to dally. We quickly skirted another mile around the mountain to the base of the Dry Creek Route. Here the climbing finally begins. It always feels good to finally start up. A rightward slanting couloir leads through cliffs that would otherwise block the entire face. The snow inside was bad, full of frozen ice balls..

A traverse leads from the top of the couloir over to the base of the upper couloir. The snow here was powder on top of a soft crust. I would have stopped here if the slope was any steeper and if the cliffs above didn't keep it cleaned off. We didn't see anything fall down, but it is a place made to generate falling shit. Again we didn't dally.

At the base of the couloir, which rises some 2000-ft, I finally felt comfortable. I had no idea how steep it would be, so when I saw that it was pretty moderate and full of incredible powder, I couldn't have been more excited. Josh and Phil led the skin track until it became too steep. We were about to quit there because the snow was just too deep. The sluff track on the right side of the couloir was harder and the powder wasn't wind affected. It is very protected from both sun and wind. So I continued onward and upward. I couldn't believe our luck. I climbed up the entire couloir until near the bottom of the upper headwall. This is where the real fun began.

The headwall is several hundred feet high and steep. Phil took over for me part of the way up and was kind enough to unlace my axe. The snow was very hard here. I would've put on crampons, but Josh was using the heel piece from his crampon for his binding. Earlier he had traded his for his powder skis and forgot to replace it. We nearly returned home that morning when at the last second Phil thought of the quick fix, which worked out great except for the hassle it would take to reverse the process. I chipped good steps for him where ever Phil had kicked up the slope. With an axe I felt comfortable and enjoyed the climb.

At the top Phil continued to the ridge. I yelled at him, "So, does it go?" He said that it didn't. To my right was a steep traverse, so I continued traversing across the face until I could mount the ridge. I was exhausted by that point. There was enough room to sit and break comfortably.

I looked over the side and Josh saw me and yelled, "So, does it go?"

I looked up and wasn't sure. I looked over the ridge at him again and hollered, "It goes!"

When they both arrived we took a much needed break. It's funny that the climbing only bothers us because we are thinking about its skiability. Does it go? It runs through our heads a thousand times. Does it go? Does it go? I climbed up the ridge without my pack and scouted it. The climb was doable. The skiing was questionable. I told Phil, "I don't want to climb this piece of crap again. If it doesn't go, we'll downclimb a few sections. Heck, we have a rope. C'mon."

I let Phil take the lead since I was worn out from the couloir and traverse. With some pushing he finished off the last traverse. As soon as he was done he leans over. I (of course) holler, "Does it go?"

His response was music to my ears, "The summit is ours!"

Josh and I finished off the traverse and climbed to the top. It's pretty flat up there; the only place on this mountain! We didn't break long. We were so excited to be on top of this bad boy. We put our skis on and skied down to the ridge. I've never had so much butterflies on a 20 degree slope. Below us is the 4000-foot north face, something I no longer have aspirations to ski.

The first traverse was the most difficult part of the route. In corn snow conditions the ski wouldn't be bad. I just don't see the whole thing being filled in, especially the lower section, the upper headwall and ridge, in spring. In my opinion, this is only skiable during a good winter, and no matter how you look at it, Big Four is a risky place to be.

I skied across the traverse first. I found very hard snow with an inch of crust on top. It didn't look bad but it felt bad. Within several feet I reached the ridge again and powder. I told the others to be safe and take it slow.

Josh led the ridge down to the next traverse. There were a few very steep steps, but none were long. There wasn't room to turn with exposed terrain to either side. I led the next traverse which brought us to the top of the headwall. After the traverse I finally had room to make a few turns, but when I got down to hard snow I traversed to the far right side of the face. The snow gripped well. The edges bit in and you could hear every inch they moved. It felt like ice skating. I really wanted to get some photos because the layout was so cool, but I didn't. When I was near the far side of the face I worried that the last roll would be too steep, but I knew from looking up at it earlier that it should go (looking up at something isn't always a good indicator though). There were a few steep flutes and a couple exciting turns here.

At the bottom: POWDER. Poof! Phil was next, and when he got to the powder he didn't stop for a third of the couloir. It was that good. I couldn't believe it. My legs were so tired, I downhilled most of it. Even then, I'm embarrassed to admit, it was good. Huge cliffs on either side and on such a great mountain, I was ecstatic. The hardest part was over. Now for the reward. Time to go get it.

Poof!

After we reached the bottom, we traversed to the second couloir and skied down to the flats. Our legs were shot and the snow in the second couloir was a nightmare to ski. Fortunately it's not very steep. We took a break before traversing past the ice caves again and back to the trailhead. From there we could now look up and see Big Four. It looked glorious. Wow!

While looking up Phil chimes in, "Man, we're pussies."

We skate skied to the car, ate food at Granite Falls and drove home. Fourteen hours roundtrip (because 4 is a great number).

*Phil has some photos (he may post a few). I have film so mine will be a bit.
Ok, here we go, I'm testing the new 3 pic (<100KB) thread limit, as suggested by Charles...

Here are Jason and Josh making the last traverse to the summit area: (almost looks like powder, doesn't it?)

On the way down, Jason finally reaches safety, as he finds powder in the narrow gully above the couloir:

Josh enjoys some primo Cascade powder in the couloir:

(edited to add: not sure why, but I'm feeling kind of dirty embedding more than one pic here...)

(edited to add: not sure why, but I'm feeling kind of dirty embedding more than one pic here...)

But I'm glad you did! Thanks, guys.

Now that is what I call an adventure, complete with a flavorful mountain and SNOW!

I wish I could have been there. Work is taking it's toll for another week....so I can get it!

I'm excited to see the other photos!

Nice!

ha!  i knew phil was on a secret project when i saw his truck was left at the park and ride at 6:00.  congratulations and nice work.  

Absolutely amazing! It's beyond my comprehension. Congratulations!

I used to ski camp part way up Coal Lake Rd, directly across the valley from Big 4, and spent a lot of time looking at - and listening to - that mountain.  The view from part way up Mt. Stillaguamish is even more impressive than that from the valley floor.

I would have thought that Big 4 could never be skiied. Wow! Unbelievable! Hope you can post a link to more pictures.

Larry

Here are a few more pics from the descent:

Heading down the south ridge towards the col...
funky ridgeline "skiing" (would have been easy, if not for the exposure on either side).

Josh and Jason nearing the constriction halfway down the couloir

And below it

For the final traverse across the bench at 3800ft, Jason ran into a fresh icy runnel (debris obliterated our uphill skin track some time during the day).  I guess he got bruised up a bit, but it was pretty funny watching him slowly slide out of control down it (rock hard ice)
Comedic action: Jason in the runnel

Nice photographs Phil.

You guys are putting together quite the portfolio of accomlishments.  More power to you!

Yee-haw! Nice description, Jason. Sounds like an, err, intriguing venture. I don't think I'll be following you up there any time soon, but it's fun to see what you're up to.

Though I will back off in different spots from you guys, I share the "you don't know until you're up there" philosophy. There have been many times when we've looked up at a face or ridge and thought "no way that goes" but we said "let's go until we can't go further" and have found that indeed, it went, and easily at that.

I sniff the makings of a new guide book as you guys continue to collect these awesome ski descents.  Potential titles "Pucker Powder" or "50 Scariest Ski Descents in Washington".

None of our group has interest in a guidebook (as far as I know). We're more interested in a book of photos or short stories. Most of these routes are in the quidebooks like Becky or Nelson/Potterfield. I've always felt like I don't want to lay out a red carpet for people to go ski things like this.  

Heading down the south ridge towards the col...
funky ridgeline "skiing" (would have been easy, if not for the exposure on either side).

Phil- I think I rememeber you writing somewhere that you were headed to Chamonix this winter- the photo of you guys heading down the south ridge looks remarkably similiar to exit off the Aiguille du Midi. Only there you have a rope and guided clients to grab hold of if you lose it!

I enjoyed your writing Jason. Felt like I was there with you.

PS If you guys ever need a partner look me up- I like your style

Yee-haw! Nice description, Jason. Sounds like an, err, intriguing venture. I don't think I'll be following you up there any time soon, but it's fun to see what you're up to.

Though I will back off in different spots from you guys, I share the "you don't know until you're up there" philosophy. There have been many times when we've looked up at a face or ridge and thought "no way that goes" but we said "let's go until we can't go further" and have found that indeed, it went, and easily at that.

It's a good philosophy Jim, especially when it goes easily  :).

I love it!  I'll keep skiing my 30 degree cruisers and live vicariously through you all.  Thanks for the inspiration and showing the true beauty of the mountain environs!  Very special.  

Catching up on some reading here...

Great descent and trip report (and good clean use of the three photos allotment). I've watched and listened to the slush avalanches coming off that huge face in May, so it seems like you chose wisely your timing for this trip. I'll never be up on something like that face, so your report and photos are the closest I can come to the experience of being there.

Does anyone have access to a full-face photo from across the valley, to the north (the view Larry was referring to)? I have a general idea of your route but would love to see the details.

And Larry, I wonder if I met you one time long ago up on the Coal Creek road? I did a few XC trips up there in the early 90s (?) and remember meeting a person who was camped at a sort of overlook along the road with a commanding view of the valley and Big Four's north face.

Glad you had a good trip.  I'm jealous.

Scurlock has the only picture I've seen that shows any good detail of the Dry Creek route:
http://www.pbase.com/nolock/image/40399578

Sky, don't worry, we left the north face untouched for you.  I'll buy you a beer if you manage to ski that.

I'll buy you a pitcher!!!!

Where is Big Four exactly?  It looked fab-o.

Just KIDDING about the book.  It seems so many folks have written so many specialty guide books, I was letting my imagination run riot.  In any case, with the steepness of your descents, you'd be laying out a red curtain, not a carpet.

They don't need to write any books, all of their adventures are web-published.  But Jason's idea of a coffee-table book filled with oversized gnar-gnar ski pics is pretty cool.

And Larry, I wonder if I met you one time long ago up on the Coal Creek road? I did a few XC trips up there in the early 90s (?) and remember meeting a person who was camped at a sort of overlook along the road with a commanding view of the valley and Big Four's north face.

Charles, late 90's maybe yes. Early 90's no. Sounds like the place I liked to camp however. Just past the second and most impressive avalanche chute I can think of. Not uncommon to have have the road covered with 30 feet of snow where it runs. The snomos could not cross, so once the thing slid it was nice. I think I could count 14 named peaks from my tent. I'll see if I can find a pic of Big 4 from there.

Edited to add:
Ah, here it is, Big 4 etc at dawn, Feb. 2000.

http://web3.foxinternet.net/lrobinson/pics/big4.jpg

Jason, Josh and Phil, which of the summits is the highest? The 7.5 minute topo maps show 4, but it's not clear which one is the true summit. I can often identify each summit in my labeled panoramics, but I'm not sure which one to use as the true summit (for the range and bearing).

Larry, the highest summit doesn't really stick out too much in your photo, but I think it might be the subtle bump in between the two left-most bumps.  It's also set back a little ways from the north face (there's a small basin up on the summit ridge, and the summit is on the south side of the basin).  It's the easternmost of the two 6160ft contour lines on the map (editied: oh, I guess I mean the easternmost of the 3 6160ft lines).

Incidentally, the Dry Creek route is mostly hidden in your photo, but you can see where it comes out.  I think a shot from Dickerman might show our route.

I'll go on record and say the north face itself isn't continuously skiable (e.g. there would be rappels).  I've scrutinized it and haven't seen a line of continuous snow down it yet, even in this big winter.  Looks like more snow in your picture though, at least lower down.

I think a shot from Dickerman might show our route.

Here's a good excuse for me to browse through my older photos from the Mountain Loop area  ;D

Photo of Big Four from Dickerman Mtn

I took this photo near the top of Dickerman Mtn in July 1997;  I'm not certain, but the prominent downward-left slanting couloir on Big Four (near right-center of photo; lower portion [Dry Creek basin"> obscured by foreground trees) looks the the route you skied...?

the prominent downward-left slanting couloir on Big Four

Yup... thanks for the photo.

The couloir just by itself would be a fantastic run to lap, it's long and isn't that steep (at least the bottom two thirds), and probably holds good snow most of the time.  But probably not worth the objective hazards of getting up into it.

Reply to this TR

march-4-2006-big-four-ski-descent
Jason_H.
2006-03-05 08:24:12