Home > Trip Reports > March 4, 2006, Hurricane Ridge

March 4, 2006, Hurricane Ridge

3/4/06
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 3/4/06 8:25pm
The Scotsman and I headed to the Olympics for his first time BC skiing there.  Many folks are skeptical about the snow or run quality there, or whether it is worth the travel, but Scotty seemed convinced.  

It's 90 miles from my place in Kitsap County to the parking area and visitor's center at Hurricane Ridge.  We arrived a bit after 9 AM (road opens at 9 if conditions permit, and they usually do), to 28 deg. F and mostly lcear skies.  One nice thing about Hurricane is that many tours start by skiing down right form near the car---you turn then earn.  

We skied the summer road for about a mile and then dropped into the Toilet Bowl for about 1100' of prime, sheltered fluff.  There was 5-12" atop a well-bonded crust on the north slopes, and the lines were good, a mix of tree and glade shots, drop/bench/drop/bench etc.
The skin back up was steep, but very mild temps. by then.  For our second run we dumped the packs and trended skier's right in the same basin, which got us some steeper, more open terrain.  Good tight trees, drift bumps, very skiable.  Another pair followed us down the second time, and they were grinning.  Back at the Ridge we did the bonus jump-off-the-cornice-above-the-trail trick, then skinned back to the car for a snack.  

Then it was something completely different, when we hit the Lodge run, S-facing open slopes right below the visitor's center that went from gentle, wind-blasted ice,to wind-depo., to pow, to steepening crud, to corn and mush, all in about 500 vertical feet.  qutie a variety with amazing views of the High Olys, though it ends in steep trees and terrain traps.  Chris set off a small wet slide coming down after me, and I booted back up to his skin track.  Our should-be-last run took us east to the long convex slope visible from the lot, and we got a free Session (lager) from some local BC'ers as we deskinned.  The second lodge run was nice, bi arcing turns to small drift jumps in the corn, but only 200'.  the skinning porcess for Sctsman was marred when one of hsi Reverends tipped over and shot off down the steep nes below us!  I saw it out of the corner of my eye and dove backwards to catch it to no avail.  We thought iwas gone for sure but Scotty booted down some really steep slush and found it stopped in a tree.  Sure beat hiking for it in June, or buying one ski and binding....Then he used his superior climbing speed to get one last half-run to match the extra one I took while he reclaimed his gear.  

All in all a very fine, varied day of multiple short tours and laps.  Hurricane is mostly used by X-C and snowshoe types, and there are many hidden stashes for the adventurous to discover.  Snoiw levels tend to be 500-1000' higher than in the Cascades.  It's far enough away to dissuade the Seattle folks, but well worth the visit.  Go farther in and unlimited snow awaits.  ;D
Great report Telemack.
I am a convert. I must admit that I was highly skeptical of the conditions we might find, but the toilet bowl was not full of crap that day. :D
The views from the lodge are so spectacular and there are so many great lines you can see over in the mountains across the valley but Oh what a price you would have to pay to get to them.

The wet slide occured on the very, very steep slopes in the trees well below the lodge. Telemack had skied ahead with no slides. I followed and at one point I was sliding down about a ten foot wide by 30 foot long wet slide that had started with me in the middle of it.
I skied off it at a 45 deg angle as it was moving very slow.
It was about 2-4" deep but concerned and spooked me as there is a really horrible terrain trap at the bottom.
Unfortunatley I had to go partly down  the slope again later using my shovel as an ice-axe to retreive my errant ski.
Note to self. Check Ski brake is not jammed up with snow and engaged before leaving ski on a steep slope. ;)

This sounds like a cool ski.  Thanks for supplying one of the few reports I've read from there.

Maybe we can plan a trip together for a look?

Absolutely JibberD.Next trip, I'll let you know.

The terrain around Hurrican Ridge has great potential when conditins are right. We saw lots of snow-shoers and XC skiers but only 2 BC skiers although a lot of people where enjoying the rope tow.We met some more BC Skiers in the parking lot and shared a beer with them.
They where skiing what they called "Idaho Bowl" which from what I understood was the north facing bowl off the raod near the lodge. The" toilet bowl" is further down the road and adjacent to the Idaho bowl.

It made a nice change from Crystal BC or MRNP and the views are so spectacular.

I was out there on Sunday the 19th of Feb, visiting my sister at Goddard College in Ft. Worden St. Pk. Skied out to Hurricane Hill on the Feb. crust before the new snow fell. It was very hard ice for my Karhu Lookouts but a beautiful blue sky day. Anyway, here is a photo of the terrain looking from the top of Hurricane Hill east to Obstruction Point.
Some nice looking touring

[Edit: displayed photo too wide, converted to link. Please keep displayed photo width to 640 pixels or less. --Charles">

sorry Charles, I thought I took care of that.
John

Reply to this TR

march-4-2006-hurricane-ridge
telemack
2006-03-05 04:25:39