Home > Forum > May 3, 2019 Mammoth with Bryan/Carol

May 3, 2019 Mammoth with Bryan/Carol

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 May 2019 16:43 #232936 by Zap

Another sunny day with no wind and in the mid 30's to start. Bryan and Carol are fantastic backcountry skiers. For decades they have climbed and skied areas in WA, OR, CA, BC, and AB. 90% percent of the backcountry folks never hear of them because they are very "quiet" about where they ski. I think it was 10 years before we heard of where they were until we spent a week with them in a backcountry lodge. But only if we were with them at the start of the climb as they went higher and longer while we skied the lower stuff. We enjoy their style and they are folks who are "good ski partners".

I only write mention this in this trip report because they are now also riding lifts with the Mountain Collective Pass. Yes, they ride the lifts in a few areas. Jill and I were in Eastern Sierra and they had already been there for 10 days of backcountry skiing. They asked if I would be their "guide for the day" at Mammoth. Today was the perfect day to ski over the open terrain and move from place to place following the sun on the groomed terrain. Folks know of us because we downhill ski 80-90% of the time and the rest is backcountry; for them it is just the opposite (only more so).

They are much faster and stronger climbers than we are, but we do pretty well with the skiing part! It was enjoyable to spend time with them and to share great stories and "grins".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.