Home > Trip Reports > March 4, 2006, Tatoosh

March 4, 2006, Tatoosh

3/4/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Mjölnir on 3/4/06 8:04am
We left seattle at the early hour of 8:30 attempting to ski Castle Peak in the Tatoosh. After taking too many photos and deciding on a closer objective we ended up skiing the NE chute of Plummer Peak instead (at the base of Pinnacle).

Snow was about 10-12" of relatively dry powder sitting on a hard crust. Bluebird weather all day.

Southern aspects were getting cooked by the sun and were starting to show evidence of wet slides by the day's end.

Dug a pit on a SW slope later in the day. Found the new snow was not bonding to the rain crust below on those aspects. The 10" slab released repeatedly with little to no compression. Seemed sketchy.

Good Luck out there on Sunday. Stay safe.
Are there ways to get to the Tatoosh, esp. the W parts, besides from Reflection Lakes?

If by "W parts" you mean the Lane/Denman/Plummer/Pinacle area, then there's always the alternative route from Narada following the general route of the Wonderland Trail through the old growth and up over the saddle next to the road or around south of the saddle.  An interesting variation and possibly  safer, if one were expecting high avy danger on the slopes above the road above inspiration point.  Depending on your destination, tho, (except for Lane Chute) it's usually quicker for me to just climb up to the road and access those areas from Reflection Lakes.  
OTOH if by "W parts" you mean the Eagle/Chutla area that is more easily accessed from the Longmire or Cougar Rock areas.

We went in via Reflection lakes and traversed back to Plummer from there.

Lane chute looks great. I think I'll get that one next.

Reply to this TR

march-4-2006-tatoosh
Mjölnir
2006-03-04 16:04:41