Home > Trip Reports > April 28, 2019, - Stuart Cascadian/SE Shoulder

April 28, 2019, - Stuart Cascadian/SE Shoulder

4/28/19
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Good2Go on 4/29/19 9:48am
Went up the Cascadian and down the SE Shoulder yesterday. Plan was for Ulrichs, but we got shot down by weather. The day started out with perfect, windless bluebird skies and switched to a low cloud deck with few openings around 11 and then light snow by noon. So, we bailed at the top of the Cascadian, which was firm and had a bumpy, refrozen surface, and skied down the SE Shoulder, which gets more direct sun and was pretty smooth, but still firm. The run back down from Longs Pass to the sleds was quality corn. I'm posting this mainly to provide beta for anybody considering skiing Stu right now. Snowpack on Stu is lower than normal this year. There is currently no snow from Ingalls Creek to about 200' below the Cascadian, so you gotta walk that section both ways if that is your objective. Same with the SE Shoulder. Ulrichs gets less direct sun, so that would probably still go top to bottom for a bit longer. There was even some dirt walking going up/coming back from Longs, which was a first for me. The road is still blocked about 4 miles before the end, but that will probably be only 2 miles by next weekend as there were mostly just patches blocking the first couple miles.
author=Good2Go link=topic=41883.msg164913#msg164913 date=1556585339]
The day started out with perfect, windless bluebird skies and switched to a low cloud deck with few openings around 11 and then light snow by noon. 

Always seems like the approach has the best damn weather!!!! Beta well received. Thanks for sharing

Weather at the end of the day

Was up there yesterday. The approach via sled had a LOT of dry road and was a lot slower than we were planning because of it. The Cascadian itself is nearly melted out. It's quite narrow in spots with rocks poking through. We ended up turning and skiing from the top of the Cascadian because it was 2 pm by the time we made it there, and my leg was cramping something fierce. The upper Cascadian had about 6" of newer snow which skied somewhat funky, but the lower part held great corn.

We managed to link snow together through the forest skier's right of the apron and made it to Ingall's creek with only 10 feet of carrying. The corn run down the other side of Long's was awesome for us, too.

A group of what looked like 3 people climbed and skied Ulrich's but we didn't catch sight of more than their tracks. They walked the ~4 miles of road and stayed ahead of us all day. I'm not sure it's worth it to bring a sled any more.

Reply to this TR

april-28-2019-stuart-cascadian-se-shoulder
Good2Go
2019-04-29 16:48:59